Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Shift cable size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shift cable size?

Hi, does anyone know what size shift cable do I need? 2002 Chevy 1500hd crew cab/6.0/4l80 trans/4x4
i has an issue yesterday in the bank drive through. I went to leave and shifted into drive. Well I only got to reverse when the colum shifter went floppy. Luckily nobody was behind me and I was able to drive backwards to the parking lot.
When I looked up some cables on rockauto, advance and autozone, I noticed there was 2 different lengths. A 130 and a 140 size cable was available at all the places. Just would like to know which one to order so I do t have to remove, measure then order.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 PM
Teching In

well I found out what size the cable was. I had to remove the old one and measure it. It was a 140” cable. My autozone had one in stock so I got that. Also I got a new dorman bracket that the cable connects too bc the original was withered away at the cable connection.

But I have another issue. I installed the cable. It was pretty self explanatory. I needed only 3 tools. Also, I replaced the transmission linkage bracket. I thought everything was good. It started up and went into reverse, nuetral and drive ok. But when I went all the way down to 1st it didn’t want to go.

yes I DO not go into first ever and drive around but it did before and so it should do it now. I’ve adjusted the cable. There’s not really that much adjustment. I’ve disconnected the cable to make sure nothing was bound up. It wasn’t from what I could see. Weird thing is that I can put the trans in 1st by hand and the indicator lights up. I can move the selector down and pop the cable on like its supposed to. But if I shift it into 2nd, it will not go back into 1st. Very confusing. I can disconnect it from either side (trans or column) and it does this. Now only thing I can think of is the shaft that the bracket connects to (shift linkage shaft) could be twisted. It is rusty and I was thinking the metal is a little weak and it twisted some as I took off the nut to replace the bracket. But it shifts into all the others so it kinda contradict itself.

let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Well I figured it out. Was able to return the new cable I just purchased from autozone under a warranty claim bc it had a 1 year warranty on it. Got another cable n installed it. Instantly I felt a difference. Also I was able to see the difference with the adjuster. One way it would not go into 1st n the other way it wouldn’t go into park. After a couple adjustments, I was able to get it correct. Now it goes into everything.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift cable size?

The fundamental contrast that I am mindful of is the width of the link. Most brake links are 1.5 or 1.6mm in measurement. Most move links are 1.1 or 1.2mm, aroused shifter links are 1.3mm. I'm certain that there is a ton of science behind the distinction yet I'll leave that to another person. One significant contrast in MTB versus street BRAKE link is the various sizes and styles of head: street links have mushroom like finishes where as MTB brake links have barrel like closures.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
Old 03-23-2021, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Resaf
The fundamental contrast that I am mindful of is the width of the link. Most brake links are 1.5 or 1.6mm in measurement. Most move links are 1.1 or 1.2mm, aroused shifter links are 1.3mm. I'm certain that there is a ton of science behind the distinction yet I'll leave that to another person. One significant contrast in MTB versus street BRAKE link is the various sizes and styles of head: street links have mushroom like finishes where as MTB brake links have barrel like closures.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

lmaooooo Jesus what is with these bots lately?! 😂