Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Recommendations for new engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recommendations for new engine

I was happily surprised to find out today how much $$ I'm going to have left after I make my down payment on the new house. So....I think I'm about ready to start getting some stuff together for my new motor. Let me state my goals, then ask my questions:

I want to run 12's ideally in the 1/4, mid-12's would be preferable, but I do not want to spend a shitload of money. I was figuring that somewhere in the 650 flywheel hp range would get me there. I have the Radix off my 5.3 that I want to re-use. I was told by my tranny shop that they could do a little bit more to my 4L60E to hold up to 650hp, but that would be the max. I would like to avoid the 80 swap if possible, or be able to do it at some point down the road, as I don't think I will be in a position to replace both engine and tranny up front. Also, I am planning on changing to 4.10 gears at some point as well, but that may not be for awhile depending on how much this costs. So....on with the questions:

Am I going to need forged internals or will the stock stuff be fine?

What kind of compression should I shoot for with the blower? I am hoping to be somewhere around 10 psi when all is said and done, unless someone thinks I would be better off more or less.

What would be a good size pulley to use on the Radix to get where I want to be?

How do I get the ideal compression? Do I use a stock LQ4, stock LQ9, replace heads,etc etc....

Will the stock heads flow well enough for what I want?

Will the Corsa kit that I have on now flow well enough for what I want?

What cam would be best for this application? BlownChevy seems to be happy with his cam, what are the specs?

Are there any other things that I should be considering?

I would really like to get all of the planned out ahead of time, do it once, and do it right. Let's hear the comments!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder550
I was happily surprised to find out today how much $$ I'm going to have left after I make my down payment on the new house. So....I think I'm about ready to start getting some stuff together for my new motor. Let me state my goals, then ask my questions:

I want to run 12's ideally in the 1/4, mid-12's would be preferable, but I do not want to spend a shitload of money. I was figuring that somewhere in the 650 flywheel hp range would get me there. I have the Radix off my 5.3 that I want to re-use. I was told by my tranny shop that they could do a little bit more to my 4L60E to hold up to 650hp, but that would be the max. I would like to avoid the 80 swap if possible, or be able to do it at some point down the road, as I don't think I will be in a position to replace both engine and tranny up front. Also, I am planning on changing to 4.10 gears at some point as well, but that may not be for awhile depending on how much this costs. So....on with the questions:

Am I going to need forged internals or will the stock stuff be fine?

What kind of compression should I shoot for with the blower? I am hoping to be somewhere around 10 psi when all is said and done, unless someone thinks I would be better off more or less.

What would be a good size pulley to use on the Radix to get where I want to be?

How do I get the ideal compression? Do I use a stock LQ4, stock LQ9, replace heads,etc etc....

Will the stock heads flow well enough for what I want?

Will the Corsa kit that I have on now flow well enough for what I want?

What cam would be best for this application? BlownChevy seems to be happy with his cam, what are the specs?

Are there any other things that I should be considering?

I would really like to get all of the planned out ahead of time, do it once, and do it right. Let's hear the comments!

It is attainable. But I think the 60 is whats gonna keep you from that goal. Stock internals are fine. Look at Parish's old LQ4 for example. All he did was toss in ARP rod bolts and he made some pretty nice numbers. Im sure youve seen them. The 317 aluminum heads flow quite well. YOu can leave them be or have them toyed with a bit. If your gonne use the Radix I would advise you to stay away from the LQ9. Just keep your eyes peeled out on Car-Part.com for an LQ4 and snag it. You can get one for 1000-1250 dollars complete. When you get the motor you might as well toss in a new oil pump, timing chain, new main seals, your cam, springs, pushrods, LS6 valley cover and some valve seals (they are cheap and you will have the motor on a stand so why not!!) Your possibilities are endless man. Just depends on how far you want to take it!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
It is attainable. But I think the 60 is whats gonna keep you from that goal. Stock internals are fine. Look at Parish's old LQ4 for example. All he did was toss in ARP rod bolts and he made some pretty nice numbers. Im sure youve seen them. The 317 aluminum heads flow quite well. YOu can leave them be or have them toyed with a bit. If your gonne use the Radix I would advise you to stay away from the LQ9. Just keep your eyes peeled out on Car-Part.com for an LQ4 and snag it. You can get one for 1000-1250 dollars complete. When you get the motor you might as well toss in a new oil pump, timing chain, new main seals, your cam, springs, pushrods, LS6 valley cover and some valve seals (they are cheap and you will have the motor on a stand so why not!!) Your possibilities are endless man. Just depends on how far you want to take it!

Whats wrong with the LQ9?????????? Does it not like F/I applications?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Truck addict

i think you can do it with that motor. lq9 has higher compression ratio if i'm not mistaken which means you can use thick *** head gaskets to lower the ration (slightly) to run a tad more boost or change heads. i am sure there are other things that might have to change as well, but overall, i think you can do it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by goshawk23
i think you can do it with that motor. lq9 has higher compression ratio if i'm not mistaken which means you can use thick *** head gaskets to lower the ration (slightly) to run a tad more boost or change heads. i am sure there are other things that might have to change as well, but overall, i think you can do it.
It already has fat gaskets in it. They are .052. Plus they have a huge chamber at 71.06. In all reality, the LQ4 is the boost motor. The LQ9 is not. Youll hear that from many others soon.

Cometic does sell a .074 gasket with a 4.10 bore. CR will drop slightly but not enough to do any good. They are $140 a pop if ya wanna give it a shot.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Is the radix big enough to feed a 6.0?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Tribe Shaman

the LQ9 has a stronger set of rods then the LQ4.
have a better chance of getting the 317 heads with D ports for better flow with a LQ9.
just use the pistons for the LQ4 in the LQ9 block for lower compression to run a higher number on boost. i know the LQ9 is rated for 500 to 550 hp on it's stock bottom end but most that have built one is seeing hp numbers of 600+ with the right tuning with out going forged.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PappyDan
the LQ9 has a stronger set of rods then the LQ4.
have a better chance of getting the 317 heads with D ports for better flow with a LQ9.
just use the pistons for the LQ4 in the LQ9 block for lower compression to run a higher number on boost. i know the LQ9 is rated for 500 to 550 hp on it's stock bottom end but most that have built one is seeing hp numbers of 600+ with the right tuning with out going forged.
Choice is up to you guys. Parish made dam good power with his LQ4. If you know what your looking for you can get the 317 heads. Just look for an 01+ LQ4 and you get the 317 heads. If you want to go through the trouble and money just for the rods thats cool. Salvage yards love to hike the price because they can say the motors out of an Escalade or Silvy SS. That said, many have proven that the LQ4 bottom end is strong with just the ARP's.

Just my 2 centavos.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
why a ls6 vally cover?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
why a ls6 vally cover?
Cuz the 5.3 PCV sucks air from the valve cover and takes an assload of oil with it. It spits all that oil into the intake. The LS6 Valley cover relocates where crankcase air is pulled from. Plus the LS6 cover has a better baffle in it. Essentially it cuts oil consumption down quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new engine