Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix Pulley Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix Pulley Problem

I purchased and a 2.9" pulley from Nelson Performance earlier this year. I've noticed minor wear of the serpetine belt, but thought nothing of it. However, over the weekend a large strip (approx. 1/8") of the belt ripped off and got wrapped around the fan. It sounded like I blew something internal and it scared the daylights out of me. After examining everything, I discovered the pulley was off about 1/16th of an inch causing the belt to come off. I let a tech examine it also just to confirm that was the problem.

If you have purchased a pulley from Nelson, then you might want to check your belt. I sent an Allen an email about the problem.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allen gets his pulleys from Pulley Boys who CNC their own, but it is a question as to what spec, since they don't work directly for/with Magnuson. Have you held up the stock pulley and compared it to the Pulley Boys pulley? I would look for subtle differences in size and shape. Let us know what you find.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

The pulley fit real good and at first glance, everything looked precise, but under heavy throttle and release the pulley seamed to slip just a little bit which caused the belt to slide and eventually caused the edge to be exposed.

I don't know if my pulley is the exception, I shipped it off today to Allen for his examiniation. Hopefully he gets my package, voice message or email. I tried to contact Pulleyboys but there web site states their online store is no longer available. Any suggestions on where to get another pulley?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anyone else who makes them specifically for the Radix. This is a problem for those who want smaller pulleys. I've actually seen a Pulley Boys pulley next to a stock Radix pulley and noticed a major difference in the ridges that track the belt. On the stock pulley, there is a definite flat edge to the ridges; on the Pulley Boys pulley, they rise to form sharp edges, not flat like the stock pulley. I bet this is why you are experiencing slippage.

Try TByrne.com and see where he gets his pulleys. Be sure to come back and let us know what you find.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Hello Guys, I need to clear this pulley problem up.
There is NOTHING wrong with the Pulley Boys pulleys. I received Boosted 6.0's pulley and belt today and after a quick examination , I discovered the problem. I have sold many, many pulleys to you guys and I have never had a problem or one complaint. Now to what caused the belt to tear. Simply, the pulley was put on backwards.
These pulleys are cnc machined and every pulley is made identical to each other.
From these pics you can see, where the nut scarred the pulley. In PIC1 , the left pulley is Boosted 6.0's 2.9" inch pulley, the scarring is on the backside. Notice the center spacer is shorter than the pulley on the right, that's because it's the backside of the pulley. In the same pic, you can see another Pulley Boy 3.25" pulley that has scarring on the front side.
Notice the center spacer is a lot taller and has a machined hex nut.
PIC2 shows the front side of Boosted 6.0's pulley and the back side of the 3.25" pulley, NOTICE there is no scarring from a nut.
For future reference, the taller center goes towards the front.

The ridges had nothing to do with the belt tearing, the pulley was installed incorrectly and the belt was riding on the guide, that's what tore the belt apart. Slipping? This is caused by installing a smaller pulley and using the stock belt or a worn/stretched belt or a worn tensioner.

Pulley Boys took a lot of time and research to get these pulleys perfect!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Makes sense. Perhaps a quick ID mark with a sharpie to distinguish front/back on the pulley would eliminate future confusion.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Allen, this is what I was referring to. It makes perfect sense though.

Is that pulley up for grabs now? I know someone that would take a used 2.9" pulley off your hands.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:16 AM

Hey Flyer,

I'm sure Boosted 6.0 will want the pulley back, being that these pulleys aren't available anymore. I'll wait for him to get back to me.
No worries though, I replied to your other post, there won't be for much longer.

thanks,

allen
Old 09-26-2004, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for getting it cleared up for me Allen, I guess that's what I deserve when I let someone else do the work. Next time I'll pass on the "no labor charge" for installing the belt and do it myself. Thanks for your prompt reply to my telephone I call. I appreciate your good service.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:19 PM

Hey Boosted,
Thanks and your pulley will be sent back to.

talk to you soon,

allen