Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PROBLEM WITH K&N COLD AIR INTAKE -HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM WITH K&N COLD AIR INTAKE -HELP

I just installed a k&n cold air intake on my 2004 vho and now i am getting a little lifter chatter when i give it some gas at around 40 and 60 mph. It is making the same noise as if i was using 87 octane gas (i use 93 octane). My only other mod is a custom manaflow cat back exhaust and this started right after i installed the k&n cold air intake. Has anyone experienced this and am i damaging my engine should i remove the cold air intake

thanks
rick
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a major considence that this started when you installed the intake.. so put the stock one back on and see if it goes back to normal. I have no idea how an intake could cause that, and if it did thats really really strange.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

make sure its pushed all the way over the throttle body, and theres no air leaks.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

I hate my 77 series K & N Fipk. It is very tempermental. The Clamps sucked, I replaced them with T-Bolt clamps from NAPA. The way you put it together and the angle that it is is also important. Some may think that I am crazy about this but it is true. However, I only can tell a difference when I run open cut-outs. Which is always. It was actually causing me some KR until I bought the T-Bolt Clamps. But, it sounds like your problem is a little different. Good luck! Sorry for the rant!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

With a open air filter like a K&N you are going to hear more engine noise such as a sucking sound and valvetrain noise compared to a stock airbox.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Launching!

mine had a little more noise but it wasnt like a lifter or anything like that. put the old one back on and check it. or put the ole trusty screwdriver to the ear and track it down. check the clamps. they are pretty S#%ty.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2004 VHO
I just installed a k&n cold air intake on my 2004 vho and now i am getting a little lifter chatter when i give it some gas at around 40 and 60 mph. It is making the same noise as if i was using 87 octane gas (i use 93 octane). My only other mod is a custom manaflow cat back exhaust and this started right after i installed the k&n cold air intake. Has anyone experienced this and am i damaging my engine should i remove the cold air intake

thanks
rick
This exact thing happened in my camaro. Turned out it was a vacuum leak caused by a 2.5" long angled piece of hose with a hole in it, inside my intake manifold. I'm sure it had been there for a while, but when i installed my lid i could hear it.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

i get some drone at about 2800 rpm, is that what youre talking bout?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all of the connections are tight and there aren't any vacuum leaks, and you're sure that you're hearing actual pinging, my next guess would be that the MAF may have gotten slightly coated with the K&N filter oil, sending an incorrect reading to the PCM...usually a lean reading. Or, it may just be a case of hearing something that was always there that you didn't notice until you installed the FIPK and the underhood harmonics changed.

If all else fails, you could always try cleaning the MAF with some decent electronics cleaner and giving it a shot.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jerome
i get some drone at about 2800 rpm, is that what youre talking bout?
yeah your going to get drone... say your cruise is set and your running about 70 going up a hill or something and it drops a gear or starts to lug a little is when your going to hear the intake.... Thats why a stock intake is so big and has alll those little chambers everywhere it makes all drone un heard

Quick Reply: PROBLEM WITH K&N COLD AIR INTAKE -HELP