Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

porting throttlebody...how much

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting throttlebody...how much

i pulled the throttlebody last night and started porting it...i got that lip in front of the blade mostly out...my question is how far should i port it? i've seen people's TBs ported to very very thin walls and mine are almost the same but smoother and rounded edges and no lip...what else do i need to do and how much should i port the walls?

Matt
Old 12-24-2002, 11:15 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: porting throttlebody...how much

I just smoothed all air flow areas. I don't know that it made any difference. I doubt that opening up everything it worth the time without any real flow testing. I bet that what you have done is enough.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Banned

richard, basically all i've done is smooth it out and man the factory leaves alot to be desired as far as smoothness...mine had several rough spots from casting or whatever. i got rid of that lip and smoothed some spots out. i'm sure it didn't make any real difference...but every bit helps, and it looks cool cuz i polished the outside. and my grama got me a set of perma cool electric fans for christmas...she always was my favorite. so i think i'm gonna get a setup like your's, minus the plywood...but with the pvc intake with mass air sensor on the throttlebody. Merry Christmas

Matt
Old 12-25-2002, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont make the walls to thin, you'll end up blowning through the metal. Good luck, my girl is bitching about something, i gotta go.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:50 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

Aside from removing the "lip", the next thing is filling the IAC and vacuum port areas and shaping / blending the area with the rest. Don't spend too much time trying to open it up...at that point the blade opening is the restrictor.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Banned

when you say filling the iac and vaccum port areas what exactly do you mean? shaping and blending the area to just be smooth, or to make them all flat?

Matt
Old 12-26-2002, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you take a small metal piece of tube about the size of a pen and put it in the opening then fill it with some kind of epoxy, then let it dry and smooth it out. I read that somewhere but don't try anything until someone says for sure what to do.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:32 AM
Banned

gottcha, sounds about right. make it like one of those bauer racing ones or something...just allow it enough of a hole there to let air in and then smooth the rest of it out.

Matt
Old 12-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

Use a filler epoxy and drill out the hole size you desire. Blend the dried epoxy with the rest of the TB mouth.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:51 AM
Banned

what size hole is preferable? have you done this on your own stocker? what type of epoxy or filler should i use? this is something i'll probably do soon if i can get the info arranged and the stuff to do it with. thanks for the advice.

Matt

Quick Reply: porting throttlebody...how much