Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original Crank Pulley Shaking/Wobbling...Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Crank Pulley Shaking/Wobbling...Help

Will the replacment of an ASP fix it? What would cause the pulley to shake/wobble? Had to replace the tensioner pulley and belt bout 2wks back. I figure the tensioner pulley had just gone bad and taken the belt with it but after I installed it I noticed the crank. I'm assuming the shake/wobble of the crank was what took out the tensioner pulley.

Truck is a 99 nbs w/ 207+k miles. Its got the original pulley on there. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it may be loose and about to fall off. if it has been like that long enough, it may have chewed up the inside of the pulley or the crank snout. if the inside of the pulley is damaged, and the crank is fine, than yes another pulley will do the trick
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
it may be loose and about to fall off. if it has been like that long enough, it may have chewed up the inside of the pulley or the crank snout. if the inside of the pulley is damaged, and the crank is fine, than yes another pulley will do the trick
And if the crank is damaged also? How would I go bout figuring out if its damaged or not?

thanks for the reply.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might be able to fix it with just a new crank bolt 12557840. Putting out 10 bucks before spending $$$ on a ud pulley set sounds like a better plan to me.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by neilownz
Might be able to fix it with just a new crank bolt 12557840. Putting out 10 bucks before spending $$$ on a ud pulley set sounds like a better plan to me.
yeah, i agree. just look at your crank and pulley and see if there is any visible damage. if not, you can put the stock pulley back on with a new crank bolt. as said above.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

does the crank bolt have the same "shake" when truck is running because that wouldn't be good.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by neilownz
Thats plan B. Pending if finances can support plan A. Would rather do the job once and upgrade while I'm there. Thanks for the advise though.

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
yeah, i agree. just look at your crank and pulley and see if there is any visible damage. if not, you can put the stock pulley back on with a new crank bolt. as said above.
Cool thanks I'll look into it when I get off work.

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
does the crank bolt have the same "shake" when truck is running because that wouldn't be good.
Haven't had a chance to look at it properly but will later today.

Thanks fellas appreciate the help.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has wobbled a little bit for over a year now. I've thought about checking it out but it's just an excuse for a new motor if something goes wrong
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Yea i know what you mean but I was hoping I had an excuse to add the asp not a new motor. Atleast not yet lol
Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

I had to replace mine it got bent when swapped engines, bought one at autozone for around 130ish.

Quick Reply: Original Crank Pulley Shaking/Wobbling...Help