Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

oil pump already?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil pump already?

Had my cam swapped about 5 days ago and everything has been fine until last night. I went to crank up my truck and the check oil pressure light come on. I immediately shut it back off. I checked for leaks, made sure the truck had oil in it (it did) and everything was ok. I waited a few minutes and then turned the truck key on and off several times and started it again and immediately shut it back off, still the same thing. NO OIL PRESSURE. The thing is, the guy didnt even touch the oil pump and my truck rolled over 36,000 miles last wednesday. Is this a problem with these trucks (2002) or what? Do you think I messed anything up so far?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your getting this message does the oil pressure gauge value agree or does it show that you are actually making pressure. Since the pump is mounted directly on the crank the chances that you really have "0" pressure if you didn't touch the pump or pickup tube and you have done your oil changes regularly are quite remote. Because the LS1 oil pump is crank driven instead of cam driven you should make a lot of oil pressure even at idle, but you are doing the right thing in turning the key off IMMEDIATELY if there is any doubt if you have sufficient pressure or not. I installed one of those LS6 ported and blueprinted pump and it gives 50lb at idle and more that 70 lbs at highway speeds.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, the message center agrees with the oil pressure value "0". I change the oil via the message center and have run mobil 1 5w30 synthetic since the first oil change. It is just odd that It gave no signs or anything. the oil pressure usually reads about 50at idle and around around 70 or so when I get on it. About the same as the ported one. Hell, I thought since I wasnt having any problems with it, I should leave it alone and now this.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Ah dude! That frikkin sucks!! **** I hope I dont run into any problems after I do my cam, oil pump and stuff. Is there any way to avoid a problem like this happening after a cam install?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:32 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Had my cam swapped about 5 days ago and everything has been fine until last night. I went to crank up my truck and the check oil pressure light come on. I immediately shut it back off. I checked for leaks, made sure the truck had oil in it (it did) and everything was ok. I waited a few minutes and then turned the truck key on and off several times and started it again and immediately shut it back off, still the same thing. NO OIL PRESSURE. The thing is, the guy didnt even touch the oil pump and my truck rolled over 36,000 miles last wednesday. Is this a problem with these trucks (2002) or what? Do you think I messed anything up so far?
Check at back of the intake near the driver side and make sure the sensor did not get knocked loose.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:56 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS509
Check at back of the intake near the driver side and make sure the sensor did not get knocked loose.

I was going to suggest the same thing.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haven't a few other people ran into a problem similiar to this with the cam installs? If I get the time, I'll do a search and see if I can find what I'm thinking about.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, here it is courtsey of Getsome. I knew it was something with the pickup tube. The exact culprit ended up being an O-ring. Also may want to check out the over pressure relief valve. Hope this helps!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=Oil+Pressure

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=Oil+Pressure
Old 03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it's an issue with the pick-up tube o-ring, then I would find it hard to believe that the the oil pump was not messed with. Did you watch the guy do it?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BenKey
If it's an issue with the pick-up tube o-ring, then I would find it hard to believe that the the oil pump was not messed with. Did you watch the guy do it?
No, I didnt watch the guy do it, but I trust him very much. He says he didnt have to mess with it, so I believe him. It did fine for about 4 days and on the fourth day I drove it a few times that day with no problems. I changed the rear springs in my truck that afternoon and all was fine. That night came, and when I went to go get me something to eat, I cranked the truck up and immediately after I put it in reverse the "check oil pressure gauge" light came on. I instantly looked and there was no oil pressure and immediately shut it off. The dealer is supposed to check it out tomarrow, so I will update you all on what is going on. Thanks OBX for the searches.