Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Oil Pressure PROBLEMS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure PROBLEMS!!!

My truck and parts are in my sig. Ok I have the 370 in there everything is hooked up no leaks and runs ok(atleast with no tune) . But I have this topend valvetrain noise, it sounded like it was lacking oil or not getting any oil. So I pulled the pass side valve cover and i have no oil there at all . I started it up with the valve cover off and still nothing. But my oil pressue is good. I just put a new oil sending unit in it and the oil pressure is reading good at idle. I have a Katech high volume pump and have the red o ring on it that fit tight when I bolted it up. So where do I start??? I did my research before I started this project and now I am stumped. I only have topend noise bottom end is quiet? I did reuse my old lifters if that helps......

Thanks for any help in advance..

Danny

Last edited by 01wtahoe; 09-02-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

ok im not sure about this i just have some thoughts that came to mind:
1. the heads that are on the engine does the oil lines match up or the seals you have on there blocking the lines.
2. any thing in the oil lines might have to blow them out idk how it wont be easy um yea thats all i got check the other side see if they are getting oil maybe narrow the possibilities i hope i helped
Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

There is a small, plastic, dumbell shaped part that goes into a passage on the rear of the block on the driver's side. Maybe this part was left out? Here is some more info with a lousy pic.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2&page=1&pp=10

In the last post, Chevracer83 says that leaving this part out will result in no oil to the valvetrain.

Yogi
Old 09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
There is a small, plastic, dumbell shaped part that goes into a passage on the rear of the block on the driver's side. Maybe this part was left out? Here is some more info with a lousy pic.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2&page=1&pp=10

In the last post, Chevracer83 says that leaving this part out will result in no oil to the valvetrain.

Yogi
That's a very important $5 part...this page might help:
http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/eb040538.htm
Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

I installed a new barbell before I installed the rear cover. I was thinking the same thing to but I am 100 percent sure it's there. I'm going to pop off the driver's side valve cover in a little bit to see if that side is also not getting any oil. I installed the barbell to specs is there anyway that it might have backed out? I was a very tight fit on the install. I used Cometic head gaskets and to answer the question above, is the only place oil drains back down to the pan is down by the lifters? Is that right???Thanks fellas, I have to find out WTF is going on cause it is driving me crazy.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Should i have primed the oil pump first??? If so how do u do it?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

In your first post you say that you have "good" oil pressure. This would indicate that the pump primed itself and is pumping OK. How much pressure do you have?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

At idle it is the line before 40psi. That truck is running a little ruff cause it is not tuned for the cam and other parts. The idle is not steady but the oil prssure gauge moves as the idle goes up and down. I reved it a couple times and the psi will go up as I give it gas. It will be close to 60 psi.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Did I put the right o ring in the pick up to pump tube. It was the red one. I also bought the blue one to compare and the blue was a little loose.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like your pressure is OK. If you had the wrong o-ring you would have zero oil pressure.

Maybe the barbell is in backwards. Did you put the o-ring end toward the back of the block?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure PROBLEMS!!!