Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rev limit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
You can see where it wants to shift be looking at your logs. Log the gms/cyl PID and you will see it peak and start to fall back down. Once it starts to fall back down, you should shift soon after that, the fall means the motor is not making any more power and is beginning to loose power.

I htink you are mistaken connecting rods for pushrods though. Pushrods are in the valvetrain, connecting rods connect the piston to the crankshaft.
Thanks on the tip for determining the shift points. I have never heard of that method before. As for pushrods vs. connecting rods - no I have them straight. The hardened pushrods are because I have heard the stock ones will bend at high RPM, especially with stiffer valve springs. The Katech bolts go into the connecting rods. I am told the connecting rods are fine by themselves, but the stock GM rod bolts will sometimes stretch at high RPM, causing the bearings to come loose and spin. Ergo, since the two have been upgraded, along with new valve springs, (the stock ones can float (bounce) at high speeds) then in theory I should be able to rev higher without destroying the engine. At least I think that's right? This of course ignores the blower, which is another story in itself.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I'm not worried about the blower as that is something I can measure and adjust for. What I am thinking is that since the valvetrain and connecting rod bolts have been beefed up I should be able to get a few more rpm's before something lets loose. Any idea as to what the new limit would be?
My mistake ... upon re-reading this, you are absolutely correct. I read valvetrain and conecting rods (missed the bolts) and assumed the rest. Ya know what 'assuming' does huh .....