Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LQ9 and Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LQ9 and Wont Start

Ok, Heres my problem I put a 2004 LQ9 10K miles I hook all plugs back up all grounds back to block, and engine starts right up no problem runs a lil loud and high revved at start up, Figured tuning it a bit would make everything happy and run alot better so i hook up the hp tuners and find a stock silverado ss tune and figure thats gotta be a desent tune to drive the engine on till i can get some cash for a real tune, now this is when it gets wierd I start drivin around and I start throwin codes like crazy so i check the codes and they are:
P1516
P2101
P0101
And some others but these are the ones that always come up, and they always put my truck in "Reduced Engine Power" mode which makes you run like a slug who just got salt poured on him lol, So i figure it is my SSR intake with the 90mm tb with the Dr. X Harness hooked to it since most of those codes go somewhere near the throttle body so i put the tune back to completly stock to see if that fixed the problem and it didnt so i just drove it around all day today and to my amazment it stoped throwing the codes and ran decent enough lol,

OK well i get home turn off the truck leave it alone for a good 5 hours and go back out there to take it to work and it wont start now lol , I get lights in dash fuel pump engages but no action under the hood so i couldent get tio work so i hitched a ride and havent had a chance to find out if a ground fell out or if my starter just took a s**t on me lol, Any ideas would help alot cause this LQ9 is causeing me all hell lol and id rather enjoy drivin around for once and not tryin to fix everyday lol
Old 05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

won't even crank? ck connections,links,fuses...stuff you'll probably do anyway...
Old 05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Update:
Well I tried the truck when i go off work at 7 am and it still nothing so i went to sleep and woke up around noon and tried and started right up lol ??? :wtf: well drove it around and enjoyed the thing for a bit then came back, im not throwin any codes any more i dont get "Reduced Engine Power" at all except i got
P0174
Which if i remember right is Running Rich but other than that I guess my starter is probley goin on me so ill check all the cables for corrosion maybe its that but any suggestions would help
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my starter does that sometimes it just wont engage but i play with the ignition a little it cranks right up .
Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Check the battery also. I had the same reduced power thing.I would let it sit come back and good to go. I put a new battery in it and has not come back.Also truck was making a weird start up noise like a slow crank thats what clued me to the battery.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds similar to my experiences... does anyone do a 6.0 swap and not get all these annoying problems to deal with?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyBeast05'
Update:
Well I tried the truck when i go off work at 7 am and it still nothing so i went to sleep and woke up around noon and tried and started right up lol ??? :wtf: well drove it around and enjoyed the thing for a bit then came back, im not throwin any codes any more i dont get "Reduced Engine Power" at all except i got
P0174
Which if i remember right is Running Rich but other than that I guess my starter is probley goin on me so ill check all the cables for corrosion maybe its that but any suggestions would help
this happened to me when i did my ls1 swap in the 06 silvy i used to have. i couldnt find the problem, took it to 2 different shops and they couldnt find the problem. ended up having to put a starter switch on the truck. which i kind of liked since the truck would start on command and if someone tried to steal it they wouldnt be able to start it since the switch was hidden