Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need someone smarter then me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need someone smarter then me...

I have a block that I'm trying to build up. all the numbers I can find are beat up so bad its almost impossible to read, they are very much no help... anyway the guy I got the block from swore it was a lq9 it has a 24tooth reluxor wheel in it, but anyway it has some kind of oil injectors that shoot oil up the underside of the piston... looks like a neat idea but I have played around with a few other 6.0 motors and have never encountered these. I guess my biggest question is are they needed? because when my piston is bottomed out the "oiler" I guess I will call it will make contact with the piston skirt, or the crank. I am in the middle of trying to install my pistons, and after getting the #7 cylinder piston in and finding this issue i have stopped progress on my build for fear of damaging something. The "oilers" bolt to the bottom of the block and then basically hook down and back up and are pointed up into the cylinders.

sorry for being long, but I want so try and make sure you know what I'm talking about. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...r_confused.gif
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

The only factory gm blocks with oil squirters are the new LS9 blocks (from the ZR1) and a block I had never heard of until now, the LST. The LST is a supercharged 8.0:1 compression industrial engine, http://www.dlcpower.com/images/2010_...Industrial.pdf

I highly doubt you have either of these, unless you are the luckiest guy on this forum and got an LS9 block for nickles. Can you get a picture of what you are talking about?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got an LS9 block for the price of an LQ9 block... I will probably hate you forever
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Ok well maybe I need to start over... I purchased this short block off a guy that needed some cash, and I don't know much about it. but here are some pictures. I want to go carbonated with the build, and I was hoping to use this intake http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...arbs-ls1.shtml

I don't have heads yet or a cam, and other then the specs on the pistons I do not have much info on the engine. just looking for some ideas on what heads would work based on the intake I want to use and maybe someone could give me some ideas on a cam, or maybe a custom grind. It will be going into the 1978 chevy blazer in my sig block.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails need someone smarter then me...-dsc_0268.jpg   need someone smarter then me...-dsc_0271.jpg   need someone smarter then me...-dsc_0274.jpg   need someone smarter then me...-dsc_0275.jpg   need someone smarter then me...-dsc_0283.jpg  

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

It says 6.0 right there
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I have a gauge for that

I wouldnt even call that an lq9 anymore, although it looks to be based off the 6.0 iron block. The pistons are for 4.070" bore, so if you are using a 4" stroke that makes it 416 cubic inch stroker with pretty high compression depending on the headgasket and head used... its also a gen 4 block, not gen 3 like the lq9. The tabs in the valley for the DOD stuff give it away.

...looks like someone put a lot of work at some point into that block

Last edited by Atomic; 02-03-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Teching In

well my experience with these motors has always been more or less stock. so based on what I have so far, and the dual 4 barrel carb intake I want to use what would be a good set of heads to allow this engine to breath proper? I'm also going to get a set of long tube headers, and run true duals.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

and back to my original problem... when my piston bottoms out my piston skirt touches these oilers, and if i bend it so the skirt no longer makes contact it will hit the crank. so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to make these work? or if it would be a good idea to abandon them?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I have a gauge for that

In my opinion, unless you plan on running boost you dont really need them.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure you could remove them. Like stated no other gm blocks have it..

Quick Reply: need someone smarter then me...