Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With TBSS Intake Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With TBSS Intake Swap

I've been searching and reading and still don't have all the answers. My truck is a '01 5.3. I'm installing a TBSS intake and Edelbrock 3864 90mm t-body. I'm planning on 42-45 injectors. I've been reading about return and returnless fuel rails, not sure what mine has. Bottom line, what do I need for a bolt on installation? PNs would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there is my thread where i did the exact same install a few months ago.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...highlight=tbss

i have 42lb marine injectors in mine. But if you want to get around the fuel rail mods I believe you can use the taller ls1 style injector. But you will still have to fab up rail mounts and possibly change injector connectors. Others have used the vette FPR and used the existing TBSS rails but i don't like that as much. Someone also mentioned at the end of my thread that there is a fuel rail kit but that is about $200. And I don't know if it will be bolt on.

This will never be a bolt on swap for the 99-02 guys because you still need to fab a cable mount for the TB.

That should get you going.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've studied your thread. Is there a fuel rail/injector combo that doesn't require the spacers? I definately want to use injectors that have the same connectors that are in the truck.

So the vette FPR setup is for using the TBSS fuel rail, and that is to allow connecting of the return fuel line? Does that setup allow the marine injectors and rail to be installed without mods to the rail? Pics of this setup would be great. I've read about others using the vette FPR, but don't really know what's involved there.

My main goal here is to have a setup that doesn't require welding on the fuel lines.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the vette FPR you can connect to the factory lines but you are essentially turning it into a returnless setup. The FPR handles the return duties and outputs a constant pressure. So you would have to use the TBSS returnless rail and injectors. I only know of one guy doing it that way. It works but you kinda have a mess of lines and the FPR sitting on top of the intake. And you would need injectors to fit a TBSS so if you have marine injectors you could not use them.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like your solution is the cleanest then. Thanks for the help. Now to find some 8.1 marine injectors.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

I plan on using the vette fpr when I do this mod. I would rather splice in pigtails than have to weld fittings on the rails to mount a crossover hose, as well as spacing the rails. The vette fpr just snaps in place. You havent bought injectors yet, so just buy a set that fit the tbss rails splice your pig tails in fab the bracket and bolt on.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've already bought the 8.1 injectors. Which reminds me...I need to source the 6N fittings and crossover hose. Anyone have an online source and know exactly what I need?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 AM
JDC
TECH Apprentice

The marine injectors will work on the TBSS fuel rail.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

the FAST rails and Lines are $189 here is a pic of them on my Vette

for that price you can't beat them

Name:  Picture.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDC
The marine injectors will work on the TBSS fuel rail.

send your stock injectors out and get them resized reconditioned and flowed it cost like 15 bucks per injector!!!

you can but the FAST rails in LS2 or LS1 style injectors

Quick Reply: Need Help With TBSS Intake Swap