Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help!!! Header bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! Header bolt broke

Well I was tightening them down and snap!! The passenger side next to the one by the firewall bolt broke off. Would an easyout get it out? Or am I going to have to pull the head?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

i heard someone else has done this before. i think they used that craftsman bit set that removes the bolts that have stripped heads. let me see if i can find the thread
Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
i heard someone else has done this before. i think they used that craftsman bit set that removes the bolts that have stripped heads. let me see if i can find the thread
Think i recall that post and Im 80% sure thats what he ended up using
Old 03-11-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

The craftsmen bit is a life saver. I'm sure it will work for you if you can get some leverage on the screw.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

took me like 30 minutes, but i found the post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=dynatech+bolt
Old 03-12-2005, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

I really appreciate finding the thread for me. I don't know if the Craftsman kit will work cause my bolt didn't break off at the head, it broke like half the bolt off. I think it is flush with the heads. Im going to try to fix it tomorrow. I'm gonna try drilling in a little and using the easy out. I REALLY don't want to pull the heads. I'm so burnt out on this header install already. I feel like blowing my truck up
Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is any part of the bolt still out of the head, you might be able to back it out with some vice grips -- I had to do that on an intake manifold bolt once...
Old 03-12-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove the inner fender panel.If it is broke off flush you might first try taking a very small punch of chisel and a small hammer and try getting it to unscrew (back out) by tapping on the edge of the broken bolt.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont chisel anything!!!!

I just went through that ordeal on the rocker arm bolts. take the exhaust manifold off, if there is a small bit of the bolt sticking out try and get some vice grips on it and back it out. If its flush get some left handed drill bits and back it out that way, those worked like a charm for me you have to use a center punch first though. If that doesnt work get a bolt extracture bit and drill the center of the bolt out then tap the extractor in and unscrew the bolt out this should be a last resort and its dangerous because you can drill into the side of the head. If those three things dont work take the head off and go to a machinist.

do not chisel anything you can **** up threads and the head ask a machinist if you need more advise. I bought a small tap just as insurance to run it through and make shore the threads were all right.
good luck
Old 03-12-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you know what your doing you can take a very small chisel or punch or screw driver and with the manifold off you can catch the edge of the broken bolt and lightly tap it and rotate it backwords,being careful and not attacking it like an animal you wont hurt anything.The left hand drill bit is a good idea if its really stuck in there.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! Header bolt broke