Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

MSD wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MSD wires

Just got done swapping the stock plugs for TR6's....

Supermaxx header system came with two MSD wires for the rear two plugs on the drivers side......first of all they hardly fit.........they are just barely deep enough to seat properly on the plug.....and when theyre all the way seated, they pretty much have to be resting against the header tube(s). They've been on the truck for about 5k miles or so and the rear one is burned on the grey rubber area near the wire......and there is no way to get it on there w/o it touching the pipe. And if its on even a little loosly......it will just pop off. Fitment sucks - very dissapointed

Are there any wires that go a little deeper before they 'turn' - like the part that attaches to the plug is a L shape......are there any that are longer at the part that goes on the plug?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I have heard good things about Taylor wire, but not sure about your question as far as fitment.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:08 PM

If you are serious about quality wiring, check these folks out. They are used by alot of professionals. They are Magnecor. Their website will give some enlightenment on the garbage that alot of manufacturers use. You won't have the problems you just got through having with the others ,with these guys. I went with them for my LS1, because I saw alot of their stuff used in professional racing. There's a reason why, and you'll see.

www.magnecor.com
Old 12-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

im using magnecore wires and i think they are a very good quality
Old 12-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Truck addict

i have heard good things from taylor and magnacore on our trucks. i have msd and have had no fitment issues.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I've got MSD and they are fine.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I run Magnecor wires and also have the "FLP/Supermaxx" long tubes. I never even put on those MSD wires. They obviously are not the right solution to the problem.

I contacted Magencor (e-mail) specifically about finding new wires because of the clearance problems w/ the header. This was their response:
"We make a set for a twin turbo modification of a Hummer with the same
engine and the part number is 85278 ($108.14) - this set has a 45 degree
angled spark plug boot (you could buy single wires for $13.52 each)."

I think this would work perfectly. The 45deg plug boot will start the wires moving up towards the coils instead of back towards the header. I will be ordering a set of the Hummer version.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

THANK YOU - this info is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Island - yes a 45deg boot would be the solution. I dont know wether I got the wrong set of MSD's or not but they are not working - one is burned so bad on the boot that it is turning hard.....and there is really no other way to angle it for correct fitment.

I will be calling Magnecor shortly - after I talk to Dynatech about this header rubbing the frame........thats another story altogether.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

so where do I buy these?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by O3GMC
I dont know wether I got the wrong set of MSD's or not but they are not working - one is burned so bad on the boot that it is turning hard.....and there is really no other way to angle it for correct fitment.
I'm surprised you even got them on. Instead of installing them w/ the wire pointing up towards the coil, I had to turn them past 90deg to clear the header flange. Like I said, I never used them. Lets both hope the 45deg boot solves the problem.

Good Luck

PS - I also have zip tied #5 & #7 wires closer together to keep them away from the #3 exhaust tube and above the #5 tube. What a PITA!!!

But I love the headers otherwise

Quick Reply: MSD wires