Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mis-information leads to Exciting night!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis-information leads to Exciting night!

Well here's the deal. I've been working on a dry nitrous kit for my truck. It's been installed for weeks, but I hadn't had the bottle filled or tried it until the other night. After looking around here and the Nitrous forum, and asking SEVERAL different sources, I was still confused on the Jet size/HP thing. I figured I would start small and work my way up. My truck has run a best of 14.5x on the motor, and feels like it has been running great lately. I asked SnakeEater for his input in a PM, since he seemed to be having great luck with his dry system. He told me the following, Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Quote:
As far as running the 93 tune with the 100 shot, GO FOR IT! I ran mine with the HPP3 93 tune with a 125 shot when i started, and got no knock. That was on the stock fuel system.

For a 100 dry shot on a v8 you should use the 76 jet. At least thats what it is for Compucar and NOS brands.

Hope this helped some,
Ron

...well I was still leary, so I started with a 47 jet, and on my G-tech it ran a FLAWLESS 13.77 @ 97.6. I was happy, but still felt like I was missing something, as he recomended a 76 jet. Someone else said that the 47 jet size was good for a 100hp in a DUAL solenoid shot, so it was starting to make some sense. I figured I would lean on it a bit more, so I took out the HPPIII programming (LUCKILY!), and put a 72 jet in, as it was the closest I had to the 76 he recomended. HOLY ****!!! The truck ran ITS *** OFF to the tune of 12.92 @ 107.6mph! 107.6! Well needless to say at the end of the run (after going thru at 107.6) the truck was sputtering a bit. I thought it had spit a head gasket out or maybe worse. The MAF had frozen up. I also went right home and removed the plugs, and they looked really LEAN, almost white. Well the truck is running ok today but I really thought it was the end of the 5.3. I know the G-tech is not 100% accurate, but its been real close for me at the track, and it felt like 107mph believe me! There is no way that a 76 jet is 100hp, NO WAY. I was both pissed and excited at the same time, and now that the truck is running fine, I'm not really pissed either. I remain confused, but come Sunday, at the track, I'm gonna stick to the 47 jet, I think that's closer to where I want to be...especially with a dry kit.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:51 PM
IMD
Banned

so instead of believing what you read on the internet...why not just call the nitrous system manufacturer for the recommended jet sizes? :dunno:
Old 11-12-2004, 02:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Glad to hear nuthing broke man.. Make sure you do a compression test too just to be safe. If you go lean enough, chipping off a ring land isn't out of the question. The trruck may even run fine and not be real noticable.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Colonel has a link in his sig with the get size/shot listings. The NOS dry shot for the F-bodys uses two foggers so the jetting size listed by them is for the two fogger set up. If you know your weight you can do the math of ET and weight to get your HP rating.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya no wonder it was fast .76 isn't a 100hp jet. Make it a wet shot -trust me there is muuuuch more torque to be had. I think wet is the safe way to go also
Old 11-12-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

oh ya, you can't blame anyone if you did it
Old 11-12-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, you asked a person who sprays a 225 dry shot ... you shoulda knew it was comin! lol jk
Old 11-12-2004, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

If the MAF froze, maybe it wasn't telling the computer to dump enough fuel, hence the leaning out....or maybe the injectors aren't big enough? Just throwing out ideas.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O3GMC
If the MAF froze, maybe it wasn't telling the computer to dump enough fuel, hence the leaning out....or maybe the injectors aren't big enough? Just throwing out ideas.

makes sense to me
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I know, I wasn't blaming anyone. I can't imagine what size jet he is running if he thinks a 76 jet is 100. What could he possibley be running to think it is a 225 shot??? I'm gonna stick to the 41-49 size jets, and hopefully get a 13 second time slip on Sunday. Maybe after that, and for the 6.0L, I'll turn this into a wet system. I'm sure the injectors aren't enough for a 76 jet, and I'm sure the maf frozen was driving the computer crazy.

Quick Reply: Mis-information leads to Exciting night!