Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry. I meant disregard what I said about booost... The methanol stuff I'm still researching.

Did you check those links Jim?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:35 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I'm sorry. I meant disregard what I said about booost... The methanol stuff I'm still researching.

Did you check those links Jim?
What did Rick say? I want to figure methanol out too.

I think that effective boost comes down to cfm into and out of the engine. 7 pounds on a high flowing engine combination may be better than 14 on a stock engine combo. The less the engine has to work to supply boost, the better it will be in making more horsepower. The more air you can get in and get OUT is what makes power. Dumping a ton of air in dosn't always yield more power if the engine can't get rid of it. Isn't boost the measurement of restriction, not the efffective flow of air/cfm?

Using meth doesn't aid in getting more air into and out of the engine. It lowers IAT's so more timing can be achieved, right? That extra 4-6+ pounds of boost GN guys are running, I wonder the horsepower results. I'm just not understanding this.

Another question, does the coolness of the air also increase boost? On several cold mornings, I have seen 7.5 pounds of boost on the stock 3.4 pulley, when on a warm day I struggle to hit 6.5-7 pounds. So maybe just adding meth will increase boost levels for the cooling factor.

As far as my setup goes, Im going to dyno with just the 3.25 pulley and no meth injection. In a couple of weeks, when I get home for more than a few days, Im going to order a a meth kit, (probably alky control) and see the actual benefits with the same boost and more timing.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, has anybody seen BlownCevy's latest dyno graph? Check the link out.

417 rwhp with a stock 3.4 pulley and a Magnaflow exhaust, and a lot of tuning.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277165

Retsell dynod 409 rwhp with a 2.75 pulley and some other mods.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272986

Retsell did have a 540rwtq wich is insane, but not more power. I wonder what he would do with a 3.0-3.1 pulley and meth. He is spinning the blower pretty fast, and not noticing any increase in power if he were to stay with the 3.4. Also, doesn't a 756 suck up a less power? 15 pounds has to be really hard on the 5.3 and the radix, I just wonder how he is doing it on 91 octane.

Maybe the reason he is seeing super high torque number is because the fuel system is not at max capacity yet. If you look at 4900 rpm, his hp is falling. That is where my motor has its peak numbers, between 5000-6000rpm. Also, the supercharger has to be working super hard to shove that much boost in, and the IAT's have to be scorching even with a hugh heat exchanger.

I guess my point is, it comes down to the combo and how much air/fuel you can effectively move with it. Meth does not make the engine more effecient, it makes the intake charge cooler which I think would allow more timing/tuniing and EFFECTIVE boost which yields higher marginal gains in horsepower (not diminishing returns).

I will just shut up now, because I feel like Im repeating myself. Hopefully someone can make sense of this for me.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is such a thing as too much meth -- if you don't increase the boost. I've screwed with my meth controller until the truck started to act like it was flooding

Meth still seems kinda like magic to me: You can just turn up the meth and turn up the boost till you see KR then turn up the meth again and boost and meth...

Julio did this on 8* of timing and turned up a stock motor to 22psi (might have been 24psi). I don't know how long it lasted at that level and I'm certainly not going to try it on the brand new 408
Old 02-25-2005, 02:42 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I think there's a fundamental difference between s/c and turbo -- maybe its just tuning mindset, but the tunes are definately different. I believe this comes from the ability to turn up the boost easily on a turbo, so there is a much easier way to get more power than by trying to find the max timing.

When I was talking to Julio about tuning turbos, he recommended picking a low timing and never changing it again, just turning up the boost until I saw 1-2 * KR and then starting the meth tuning process.

I dunno, though - I never tuned a s/c, but have scoured a tone of s/c tunes for hints on turbo tuning (until Julio told me to stop
Old 02-25-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How much are all you guys paying for your Meth kits?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
How much are all you guys paying for your Meth kits?
Ive heard some make their own for around $200, the nice alkycontrol kit is around $500, but worth every penny. I spent more on my kit between buying it and then fixing the stuff that leaked and mine looks like crap whereas the alkycontrol kit is a better system and looks MUCH BETTER!!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:24 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the 4 gallon cell i will be between $500 and $600, haven't seen the last bill for lines and stuff.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

I'm gonna put the 10lb pulley on in a few days and also turn on the smc kit to try to keep the KR down. If I simply put the 10lb pulley on, i get CRAZY KR. I'd have to take a bunch of timing away. If I spray the denatured alcohol (can't find methanol anywhere), it seems to keep the kr down. But, I don't feel like i'm getting any more power. On the dyno, using the alcohol didn't give me any more hp at the same boost. all it did was screw up my a/f ratio.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

DenaliHD,

I tried 3 different fluids on the dyno: 100% water, 100% denatured alky, and 100% meth. The water and denatured did the exact same thing as far as power, but the meth made a 20+ hp difference. I have decided to use water for daily driving and meth for the dyno. Just thought you might want confirmation on the denatured effects...