Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 intake installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS1 intake installed

Yes I actually installed an LS1 intake and couldn't be happier. I may have lost a tad bit of low end (I don't notice as much wheel spin off the line) but it sure feels like it pulls better up top. With the truck manifold I always had a kind of "blah" feeling at 5K+ but now it seems to run on to 5800. The engine also seems more responsive to throttle changes and to spin up faster.

The reason I went with the LS1 intake vs. an LS6 was because of cost ($25 vs. $350-$500). If they were the same cost, I would have gladly taken the LS6. But with that said, I'm not feeling like I really lost out. While I have no hard data to back this up, logic tells me that if an LS1 intake can feed a 5.7 to 5500RPM, it can certainly feed a 5.3 to 5500RPM. It is well known that LS1 vs. LS6 only becomes really noticeable between 5500-6000RPM range on a camed car. Besides, if I later decide to swap over to an LS6 intake, the hard work is done.

I installed a spare set of SVO 36lb injectors (didn't see paying $100+ for used/stock LS1 injectors when these were free). While in no way needed at the moment, I do plan to install a set of heads and a TR224 down the road (real dream is a supercharger one day). I would have temporarily reused the stock truck injectors but found out they are TOO SHORT to use with an LS1 fuel rail (see attached picture comparing SVO to truck). I think the truck fuel rail looks stupid on a car manifold so I was forced to go ahead with changing the injectors and wires.

Now why did I really do it? Because it looks sexy as hell (100% of the reason )! I also had a set of LS1 valve covers powder coated red, chromed an F-body fuel rail, and installed f-body spark coils.... damn does it look mean!

I'm in the middle of relocating all the wires to the back of the engine and I'll post pictures when done.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 intake installed-ls1vstruckinjectors.jpg  

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 09-14-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you route your wiring harness?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Baltimore Whore

Waiting on pics, nit just of the swap, seen a tone of them but moreso for the pics of the chrome and valve covers.. above me, i want to see the wiring.. Glad your happy
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I forgot to take pictures of actually DOING it. Somehow every time I do a project I say "I'm going to take pictures while I'm doing this and post them".....never happens.....

edit: forgot to mention, ALWAYS CHECK (and change if needed) YOUR INTAKE GASKETS!

Before the initial install I noticed the "old" gaskets were a bit "flat" and kind of "stiff" but didn't think anything of it. Wow, big mistake. Resulted in +40 Ltrims (LTrims pegged +25, added 25% to the MAF table, LTrims were still +15), 0% throttle at "idle", and the engine wouldn't even idle in Speed Density (with MAF unplugged or turned off).

When I removed the intake to swap in new gaskets, I compared them. The old gaskets were about 1/2 the thickness (had taken such a crushed "set") of the new. Installed with new gaskets and reset the MAF table back to stock, the LTrims were near perfect.

So again, to drive the point home..... ALWAYS CHECK YOUR INTAKE GASKETS!

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 09-14-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

update:

It's been a hectic 2 months but I'm about finished up with the wiring re-route. The wires are about 8"-10" too short to just "move" so they need to be lengthened (which is taking FOREVER). I'm down to about a dozen remaining that I hope to finish up this Saturday.

The performance has been exceptional! The truck pulls hard all the way to 6K. With the truck manifold I was having a "drop off" around 5K.

Should have pictures this weekend!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Baltimore Whore

Sweet. I will be waiting on pics of the new wiring route
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

So its been 6 months since I installed it....finally got around to taking the 10mins required to take some pictures.

Still very happy with the performance. Lost low end torque but that is actually helpful in my case as even after the 4link install I can roast the tires from a dig. Truck really wakes up however past 3K and pulls all the way to 6K. I'm excited to do the T56 swap this summer! The wide ratios in the 4L60 are not letting me stay in the power band (or down shift into the power band) like the LS1 manifold really requires.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 intake installed-img_0998.jpg   LS1 intake installed-img_0999.jpg   LS1 intake installed-img_1000.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks awesome. i want to do the same thing to my truck too (for looks obviously) and this makes me want to do it even more.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
looks awesome. i want to do the same thing to my truck too (for looks obviously) and this makes me want to do it even more.
I'll tell you up front, rewiring is a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest seeing if you can in any way route the stock wiring harness some way to work to your liking because the 100some wires will make you want to burn the truck down before its over

But.... end result is indeed sexy
Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm an electrical engineering major so no biggie
i rather like rewiring my truck. in fact i had to do it to the radio because whoever put in the one before i bought the truck did a job...

Quick Reply: LS1 intake installed