Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 hot cam in a 2000 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 hot cam in a 2000 4.8

Has any had any expierence with the ls1 hot cam 219/228 @ 0.050 0.525"/0.525" 112° lobe sep in their truck, is it a good cam for a daily driver? is there any kind of problems. also how hard is the install, how do you get the crank pulley bolt out????
thanks for the help
Old 12-24-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and vanillagorilla both have this cam. I think for the price, it is a pretty good cam to go with, especially if you are on a budget.... like me. Vanillagorilla has no drivability issues, I have some surging and stalling problems.. but I think its in the tune. This cam does sound pretty nice as well. Overall it feels more torquey and has a smooth consistant midrange pull. Installation is pretty simple. The hardest part is the valvesprings, but with the right tool it should be easy. I got the crank bolt out with an impact.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

How much HP/TQ was gained with this cam?
Philip S.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Default Good Choice

Originally Posted by gmcandcaprice
Has any had any expierence with the ls1 hot cam 219/228 @ 0.050 0.525"/0.525" 112° lobe sep in their truck, is it a good cam for a daily driver? is there any kind of problems. also how hard is the install, how do you get the crank pulley bolt out????
thanks for the help
Hey, I seel this cam alot! I've had no complaints from the 10 plus customers that have bought it, except, they said it makes a BIG power addition on the bottom end, and they now spin much further and eaisier. But all depepnding on what you like....that may not be a problem, but a pleasure instead.

It's a good quality cam.....look it's made by GM to work on GM engines. So, it won't actually void your warranty if it's purchased and installed by a GM Dealer or GM Service Center.

Buy it......you won't have any probelms.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Default Power gain.

Originally Posted by BigBlockChev572
How much HP/TQ was gained with this cam?
Philip S.
GM Performance Parts rules it as a mild cam. But the net HP gains are rated at 80 to 100 horsepower depending on the vehicle and other mods. But the actual rearwheel horse gain is about 60 to the tires.

I have 2 customers who had the cam pkg. installed by me and my guys, and went straight to the dyno. Bothe cars showed 61 HP gain and 64 HP gain.

If you get one, then that's not a bad time to have your heads sent off and worked. You be down that fan anyway, and what's another couple of hundred bucks since you're into the motor that far?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMPartsGuy
It's a good quality cam.....look it's made by GM to work on GM engines. So, it won't actually void your warranty if it's purchased and installed by a GM Dealer or GM Service Center.

Buy it......you won't have any probelms.

Are you 100% sure about this? That it won't void warranty at all if bought and installed by a GM dealership? If that is the case, then I am going to get a cam soon. I would rather install it myself, but if it is warrantied anyway then I will get it done there.

Aaron
Old 12-25-2004, 01:02 PM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

im not it will probably void it because there will HAVE TO BE an aftermarket tune done on it GM wont be able to provide you with one that would work or they would reflash your pcm wich would screw you up big time with that little motor and big **** cam
Old 12-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Launching!

The warranty will be voided when you put the valvesprings on it also. And if you install it yourself they will void the warranty also.

And I wouldnt be all high and mighty on GM parts because I have never heard or seen of another cam companies cam coming apart in a LS1 motor. And GM had like 20 hotcams go out with no heat treat on them and put alot of metal in the engines and tear them all up.
I know a couple people that got new motors from it but one of my buddies did get nothing but a bunch of crap from GM and over a 1000 dollars worth of labor bills because they said it wasnt the cam it was the lifters then it kept running like crap so he still had to pay for that and then had to take the cam out himself and it had like 3 lobes that where flat.
His motor had like 20 psi oil pressure @ WOT after he put the stock cam back in so he put that thick lucas crap in it so it would have oil pressure and screwed GM back by trading it in on a truck.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Teching In

"he put the stock cam back in so he put that thick lucas crap in it so it would have oil pressure and screwed GM back by trading it in on a truck."

Not Good! Maybe it died before it was sold....
Old 12-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hot Cam Question

Originally Posted by styleandspeed
Are you 100% sure about this? That it won't void warranty at all if bought and installed by a GM dealership? If that is the case, then I am going to get a cam soon. I would rather install it myself, but if it is warrantied anyway then I will get it done there.

Aaron
There is a Warranty Administration Bulletin from GM on this subject, sent to us GM Dealership Operations. It cover the subject of aftermarket parts voiding the warranty, but a Genuine GM Part properly installed by a GM ASE Cert. Tech will be covered by the vehicle warranty if applicable.

At my dealership we won't kick on the warranty if you buy it from me and have us install it. I'm sure there are centain Dealers that may not honor the warranty, because it is at the dealers discretion. But if you walk in to a parts counter and drop $500 for a GM Performance Parts Hot Cam and then go to the service dept. and drop another couple of hundred bucks to install it, I don't they they'd say anything about the void of warranty. If they do, then they suck and don't want your business, go somewhere else. Besides if you get them to put it in, they will not only warranty the part for 12/12k, they also warranty their workmanship on the labor too. So you can't go wrong.

The GM Performance Parts Hot LS1 Cam is a great addition, the only other one that matches the quality, is the SLP Hotcam Kit. About the same price too. But you will need to have the ECM re-mapped, NelsonPerformance can help you with that. SLP will send you to Fastchips, but trust me on this....don't do that! $600 for a ECM re-mapping, and all I can tell, is the cam won't shake aggressively, that's all.

Any questions on the part# or anything with GM Perf. Parts brand, just email me.

Quick Reply: ls1 hot cam in a 2000 4.8