Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 head swap info

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about heading out to RRR, but I was reading on thier site and it seems they are kinda a stickler about some safety things. Some of the things they had up there were kinda silly and a little over the edge. In reading some of the forums, it looked like they enforced them sometimes and had some people that they would just pick on and hold to the rules hard. One rule I had against me was a driveshaft loop for faster than 13.99 or with sticky tires, which would be grounds for me to be booted.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
Blake: I do have it on video! I believe I ran a 15.4 @ 91mph WITH a passanger (who videotaped the whole thing) vs. your 16.7 @ 83mph by yourself!!! I won't tell anybody about your run against that cavilier It was real warm & humid that night though. I know we both could have done much better with some cooler weather My best that night was a 15.0xx @ 93mph, I can't remember what your best was. I seen twobit's LS1 heads when he picked them up from kitlers, they looked pretty good for only $400.

Flyer: We ran at Red River Raceway in north caddo parish. I would like to go to hallsville, but as of right now they got me working a 3-midnight shift Friday You, me & Blake will have to meet up sometime soon though!

twobit: CARAZYCUTER4.8 is just kidding around. He doesn't realize that his 4.8 won't match up to the 5.3, even with a 2200 stall and 3.73 gears! (j/k Blake) His truck does pull good on the top-end.
Lets see the video.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Flyer: you're right about RRR. Some people they let do whatever and some they strictly enforce the rules. I've talked to a few F-body guys who swear they'll never go back because of it. I didn't have a problem with it this last time, but the other times I've been, the guy that tell you when to line up, burn out, etc. treated me like a big dumbass in front of everyone.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
Blake: I do have it on video! I believe I ran a 15.4 @ 91mph WITH a passanger (who videotaped the whole thing) vs. your 16.7 @ 83mph by yourself!!! I won't tell anybody about your run against that cavilier It was real warm & humid that night though. I know we both could have done much better with some cooler weather My best that night was a 15.0xx @ 93mph, I can't remember what your best was. I seen twobit's LS1 heads when he picked them up from kitlers, they looked pretty good for only $400.

Flyer: We ran at Red River Raceway in north caddo parish. I would like to go to hallsville, but as of right now they got me working a 3-midnight shift Friday You, me & Blake will have to meet up sometime soon though!

twobit: CARAZYCUTER4.8 is just kidding around. He doesn't realize that his 4.8 won't match up to the 5.3, even with a 2200 stall and 3.73 gears! (j/k Blake) His truck does pull good on the top-end.
You wait until I figure this ls1 edit, I did run over a second slower than than before I installed the stall, headers, & ls1 edit. I will admit that I ramped up my timing too much & I allowed the convertor to lockup during shifts & in 3rd.
I am in the process of figuring out this ls1 edit. Wait until then!

Oh yeah I do believed you got jumped out on did'nt you? I believe the stall let me jump you.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flyer
That's kinda what I was thinking too Snake. I guess I was beating around the bush an just didn't outright say it.

I still wanna know about the track though .. Hallesville isn't running midnight madness this weekend and I'm dying to get ot a track since I finally got it all running again.
What about the different in the valve size?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flyer
I thought about heading out to RRR, but I was reading on thier site and it seems they are kinda a stickler about some safety things. Some of the things they had up there were kinda silly and a little over the edge. In reading some of the forums, it looked like they enforced them sometimes and had some people that they would just pick on and hold to the rules hard. One rule I had against me was a driveshaft loop for faster than 13.99 or with sticky tires, which would be grounds for me to be booted.
RRR just got purchased. It now has new owners!!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Richard is going down!!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't think about the bigger valves. For the 4.8 though ... that might be to much and cause you to loose all your low end grunt. With that Z06 cam, it will prolly pull even higher and be even peakier than it already is. I think I would stick with a 5.3 head and work them over.

That's about what I heard about RRR. I would have to say that if they treated me like a moron, I would have had to say something and probably wouldn't have been back. I just don't want to go over there, pay 25 to get in (me and my gf), make one run, or even better get the tires changed, and them not let me run for the driveshaft loop. I'd be a little pissed then.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Unless your going to boost it, i'd stick with 5.3 heads. They will produce more power with a little work than the 5.7 will. Look into what the car guys are running with really high N/A HP. Most use 5.3 heads because of the small combustion chambers.

Kind of a side note to that, when i boost my truck i am swapping the heads with the Camaro to drop compression on the truck and raise it on the car. More power for both. hehehe
Old 06-03-2004, 09:17 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CARAZYCUTER 4.8
You wait until I figure this ls1 edit, I did run over a second slower than than before I installed the stall, headers, & ls1 edit. I will admit that I ramped up my timing too much & I allowed the convertor to lockup during shifts & in 3rd.
I am in the process of figuring out this ls1 edit. Wait until then!

Oh yeah I do believed you got jumped out on did'nt you? I believe the stall let me jump you.
Yeah, that's true...run whatcha brought!

Quick Reply: LS1 head swap info