Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 head swap info

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 head swap info

After kicking richards (99silveradoss) tail all over the track last friday he broke down & cried & brought me the LS1 heads yesterday. I have a couple of questions though. This is going on a 03 4.8 with an ls6 cam in it.

How much do I deck the heads to bring me up to 10.5 to 1 compression?

I am assuming that because the bore is larger on an ls1 & the combustion chamber is larger I should use an ls1 head gasket set. I intended on using a factory set here at the dealership is this ok?

what about my headers, will they work on these heads?

I was just intending on doing some simple cleaning & polishing the intake, exhast, combustion chamber, & bowl area. Is there really a big difference in having them ported being that I intend on using my factory truck intake?

Are there any unforseen problems I might run into?

What kind of power increase can I expect?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the 5.3 head gasket myself. I also had the heads worked over by Kittlers which just happens to be in Bossier City. They milled them down, 5 angle valve job and cleaned up the bowls and blended them some. I noticed quite a difference up top but not much down low.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=CARAZYCUTER 4.8]After kicking richards (99silveradoss) tail all over the track last friday he broke down & cried & brought me the LS1 heads yesterday. I have a couple of questions though. This is going on a 03 4.8 with an ls6 cam in it.

QUOTE]

As far as decking your not going to be able to mill enough off to even get close to 10.5 to 1 I had about 55 milled off and I think that brought me just a little over stock compression.
Oh and did you really beat Richard?????
Old 06-03-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

2bit .. how much did they charge you for all that?

The ls1 and the heads you have on there flow about the same. If you can get your hands on some ls6 or truck heads though .... they flow considerably better than those 2 heads.

What track are ya'll going to, think ya'll will be there this Fri night? Maybe we could finally meet up at the track if you wanted.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer
2bit .. how much did they charge you for all that?

The ls1 and the heads you have on there flow about the same. If you can get your hands on some ls6 or truck heads though .... they flow considerably better than those 2 heads.

What track are ya'll going to, think ya'll will be there this Fri night? Maybe we could finally meet up at the track if you wanted.
It was a little over $400 That included extacting 2 rocker arm bolts. They had to heat them out of there some how. Also included was a 5 angle valve job, milling, bowl work and runner work. Just a very mild work such as cutting down the intake bolt boss (i think thats what it is called) that hangs down in the intake runner.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot, it also included installing the springs at the correct height.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer
2bit ..
Ive heard conflicting stories on what flows better regarding the ls1 heads and the 5.3 heads. I went with the 241 casting which is suppose to be a little better than the 853s. Take a pair of 5.3s and stand them next to a set of 5.7. Besides the combustion chamber size you will notice that there is a difference in the contour of the chamber. Some seem to think that this difference makes the 5.7 head a little better.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

My 5.3 heads are milles .050 and only give me 10.3:1, so sorry to say there is NO way for you to get even close to that compression without pistons. If you mill your stock heads, and have them ported you'd be very surprised at the gains.

For the most part, 5.7 heads are only a good thing if you have boost.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's kinda what I was thinking too Snake. I guess I was beating around the bush an just didn't outright say it.

I still wanna know about the track though .. Hallesville isn't running midnight madness this weekend and I'm dying to get ot a track since I finally got it all running again.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:07 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CARAZYCUTER 4.8
After kicking richards (99silveradoss) tail all over the track last friday he broke down & cried & brought me the LS1 heads yesterday. I have a couple of questions though. This is going on a 03 4.8 with an ls6 cam in it.

I am assuming that because the bore is larger on an ls1 & the combustion chamber is larger I should use an ls1 head gasket set. I intended on using a factory set here at the dealership is this ok?

what about my headers, will they work on these heads?

I was just intending on doing some simple cleaning & polishing the intake, exhast, combustion chamber, & bowl area. Is there really a big difference in having them ported being that I intend on using my factory truck intake?

Are there any unforseen problems I might run into?

What kind of power increase can I expect?
Blake: I do have it on video! I believe I ran a 15.4 @ 91mph WITH a passanger (who videotaped the whole thing) vs. your 16.7 @ 83mph by yourself!!! I won't tell anybody about your run against that cavilier It was real warm & humid that night though. I know we both could have done much better with some cooler weather My best that night was a 15.0xx @ 93mph, I can't remember what your best was. I seen twobit's LS1 heads when he picked them up from kitlers, they looked pretty good for only $400.

Flyer: We ran at Red River Raceway in north caddo parish. I would like to go to hallsville, but as of right now they got me working a 3-midnight shift Friday You, me & Blake will have to meet up sometime soon though!

twobit: CARAZYCUTER4.8 is just kidding around. He doesn't realize that his 4.8 won't match up to the 5.3, even with a 2200 stall and 3.73 gears! (j/k Blake) His truck does pull good on the top-end.

Quick Reply: LS1 head swap info