Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Loss Of All Oil Pressure Wtf

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Picture of the pump AND a story of the arm in the fan!!??
Old 06-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK folks I'll get a little more detailed. I'll try to stick the url to a photobucket folder at the end of this for ya. Folder contains photos of the oil pump guts, the right arm 3 days after, and the arm today. The cummins is a 3.9L diesel 4 cyl. that powers a generator at my workplace. We had a problem with some of the blades coming off of the alternator cooling fan, and one went thru the radiator. I replaced the radiator, refilled the system, and fired it up to get thermostat open and all of the air out of the system. Plan was that after it warmed up, and the coolant level was adjusted I would shut it down and leave it out of service until the new alt. cooling fan came in. Therefore, I pulled a stupid, and left the guard off so not to have to remove it again later when the fan came in. Rad. fan blows backwards on these units through the rad. and into a duct that leads outside. So when I reached up to put a finger into the rad. opening to feel for coolant, airflow pulled the corner of my unzipped work jacket into the fan belt. It pulled my arm downward, with elbow bent, putting my forearm into the blades. As the jacket wrapped around the crank pulley it stopped the belt, and also the fan which is probably why I still have an arm. Couldn't reach the stop button, so we pulled back to tear the jacket a little, and then grabbed the electrical cabinet next to me. Held onto the cabinet for a couple of minutes until the fan belt melted through, then I could get out and call for some help. Cut up a lot of muscles, and tendons, but none of them cut all the way through. Just missed an artery, and I guess I left a little of me on the floor. Today it's not perfect, but a lot better than I expected.
So who's seen a pump destroy like mine ???

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../1ARM1OILPUMP/
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a pump or someones arm torn up like that from a fan blade . . . .
Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that look Yummy!!!
Glad your ok, I had a pretty freaky accident a couple month back at work that Sounded awefully similar to yours but but I'm not gonna jack your thread about it. Glad your in one piece bro!! Hope your on a medical leave of absense so you can heal quickly. And now that you have all this freetime it's a good time to mod up your truck some more!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was only out of work for 4 - 5 weeks, then a short period of "light duty". Still have a few issues, and seeking a 2nd opinion with ny own Doc. Arm works pretty good, still alive, and on we go. Hope yours has turned out as well.
Still can't figure the pump, but parts are ordered, and on the way. By the time their in, the blood clot should be dissolved, and I can get to work on puttin' the beast back on the road.