Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Looking for cam options for my 02' Denali P/U

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for cam options for my 02' Denali P/U

Finally decided to do a little tweaking to my 02' Denali P/U with the 325 hp 6.0L. I have been holding with mods because the truck is all wheel drive and tough to tune on a DynoJet 248!

Can't wait any longer so I just ordered a Diablo programmer, ASP pulley and a cold air box. It already has a Gibson exhaust. I think I would like to stuff a cam and replace the valve springs as well. Looking for some opinions from some of you guys that have tried a few "mild" cams. Anyone know the stock cam specs??

I was thinking a 218/222 on a 114-115 LCA and lift in the .530-.550 range.

I don't feel like getting into LS1 edit tuning so I need to keep the cam profile something that can be tamed with the Diablo programmer!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:20 AM
Launching!

If you haven't installed the predator yet, send it back. If you have then nevermind.

A custom tune is much better, by either Nelson's or PCMforless. Both are very good and will whomp on any weak *** handheld. I know, I had a predaturd.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:46 AM
FormerVendor

I don't like ANY of these generic programmers to start with. At least I have some control with the Predator. I already have a wide band o2 so I can see where the fuel is. Believe me I have plenty of time on the dyno with LS1 Edit and other DFI units. This is not my first choice but just wanted a little tune up. If I don't like the results I'll **** can the programmer. If I could get the truck on a DNJ248 I would LS1 Editing the thing.

I remember all the "custom" maill order tunes I dealt with during the L98 and LT1 days. It's all bullshit guessing games. I have no patience for that right now.

Anyone stuff a cam in there truck??
Old 08-13-2004, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have considered the TR224 cam in my truck, but funds simply aren't there.

BigTex has a custom grind cam in his Silverado SS, and is very knowledgable about the setups. Maybe he will chime in and give you some help

Do you ever post over on the MSN GMC C3/Denali forum?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you send back the predator, dont get a custom tune, take a llok at the crane/vhp tuner and camshaft selection, www.vincihighperformance.com, they have cams designed for trucks to produce alot of torque, the programmer is neat, you can make changes per camshaft you have. vhp uses crane cams, with their specs.
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
The Crane tuner has tuning for cams up to 216 @ .050 for the trucks and 228@ .050 for F bodies and Vettes. The tuning is selectable by various cam performance levels that are preprogrammed into the tuner. It has tuning for superchargers that is automatic when the engine sees positive manifold pressure. It allows the use of higher flow injectors up to 120% larger than stock. It compensates for tire sizes in 1/4 inch increments. You can increase idle speed in 50 rpm increments up to 300rpm over stock. (No need to drill holes in the throttle plates). You can shift the advance curves + or - 10% to compensate for exhaust restriction. It can be tuned for regular, mid grade or premium fuel. It allows shift point change and shift firmness change. No matter what sequence of key strokes you use, you can't screw anything up. It's a great tool for a lot of people who don't have access to a competent tuner or who don't want to spend the money on a custom tune. It is an extremely competent product for it's intended application.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you send back the predator, dont get a custom tune, take a llok at the crane/vhp tuner and camshaft selection, www.vincihighperformance.com, they have cams designed for trucks to produce alot of torque, the programmer is neat, you can make changes per camshaft you have. vhp uses crane cams, with their specs.
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
The Crane tuner has tuning for cams up to 216 @ .050 for the trucks and 228@ .050 for F bodies and Vettes. The tuning is selectable by various cam performance levels that are preprogrammed into the tuner. It has tuning for superchargers that is automatic when the engine sees positive manifold pressure. It allows the use of higher flow injectors up to 120% larger than stock. It compensates for tire sizes in 1/4 inch increments. You can increase idle speed in 50 rpm increments up to 300rpm over stock. (No need to drill holes in the throttle plates). You can shift the advance curves + or - 10% to compensate for exhaust restriction. It can be tuned for regular, mid grade or premium fuel. It allows shift point change and shift firmness change. No matter what sequence of key strokes you use, you can't screw anything up. It's a great tool for a lot of people who don't have access to a competent tuner or who don't want to spend the money on a custom tune. It is an extremely competent product for it's intended application.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Launching!

I put a custom ground cam i my 2000 silverado 5.3 and the specs a 218/218 .560.560 114 and the pcm went crazy. did not idle and stalled alot. sent the pcm to pcmforless.com and they fixed that problem.