Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk mechanical causes for KR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
well seens how it did not do it when cold maybe you need more pe. Is it lean?

It would be definatly worth it to swap to a newer pcm though.
I've never had a wide band on it. So I can only go off of what the stock O2's say. With that said, no it doesn't appear to be lean.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
A quick search on here would reveal what tuner I'm using, so I don't want to go there. I could PM or email you the tune or logging file if you like. This was all done the HPT.

Could you elaborate more on knock learn and how temp. affects it?

As for my cats:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...highlight=cats

I had the factory platinums in there. They seemed to be all gapped at .100", so I re-gapped them to .060". No luck. I threw some TR6's in there to try a colder plug, gapped at 0.035" and same ****, different day.
Good god vanilla, those are clogged cats Im suprised the thing would even run like that. PM sent
Old 09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
As for my cats:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...highlight=cats

I had the factory platinums in there. They seemed to be all gapped at .100", so I re-gapped them to .060". No luck. I threw some TR6's in there to try a colder plug, gapped at 0.035" and same ****, different day.
i have never seen cats clogged like that...damn. have you tried using the Seafoam or even better the GM Top Engine Cleaner? too much carbon will definately cause detonation not only by getting hot and being an igniter, but it can also increase your compression causing it to ping. i was having sporadic KR mainly at PT only once at WOT, so i shoved some cleaner through it and it made a world of difference. fuel trims went from being +3-4 to -4-5 overnight.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I've run the Berryman's engine cleaner through the engine and fuel system. This was only a couple weeks ago, long after my cat episode. I didn't smoke at all! All I noticed was a little better low speed response. I wonder if the seafoam is all that different now. It has the same product description and instructions. I could try it again, but who knows.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay, so now I really think this is temperature related. When the truck was cold, I ran it hard and it ran flawless. Once it warms up (about 160-180*) it all goes to hell. High rpm sputter and KR showing up on the gauge.

Does any one know if there's some device I can use to actually look into the combustion chamber with, through the spark plug hole? Or is there any way to tell if I have carbon build up, short of pulling the heads?

I've been planning on putting 317 heads on it for some time now, looks like that'll be happening sooner.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

the GM cleaner does a better job than the seafoam, and the seafoam does a pretty damn good job. i've never tried the berrymans through the intake, so i could say how it works.