Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

L86 Build up

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L86 Build up

Its been a while since I've been in the truck performance game, but with the new breed of 700hp bro-dozers hitting the market shortly and every other person in my neighborhood owning a raptor, its looking like time to mod the truck. I have a 2018 GMC Sierra CCSB 4x4 6.2 L86

Right now the truck is mostly stock with about 25K miles, I have some suspension mods, but largely stock.

I was going to start with a Whipple 2.9L

Then Long tubes, I was looking at ARH 1-7/8 catted. I'm open to suggestions, my only requirements are Stainless steel and a connection between the LT and Y-pipe that bolts together. So ball and socket, v-band, or etc. The pacesetters I put on my 01 Silverado were slip on with band clamps and had nothing but leaking issues.

Then I want to move onto cam/heads. I'm not looking for anything extreme here, honestly I'd probably do a LT4 cam, but if I'm going to be in there I might as well do slightly larger. This truck will never see a race track, I want power for passing and well for the thrill of fast a truck. I don't want noticeable lope or any driveability issues. This truck will be a sleeper by all measurable definitions.
I was looking at the TSP 6.2L LT1/LT4/L86 VVT-1 Camshaft or BTR CAMSHAFT - GEN V LT1/LT4 - SUPERCHARGED STAGE 1 with DOD delete and replacing the lifters. As far as heads I was looking at PRC CNC LT1/L86 heads.

At this point I figure fuel upgrades are in the works; LT4 injectors, LT4 DI pump, and a DW400 drop in Fuel pump module.
Anything I'm missing other than tune?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

If you're starting with the Whipple be sure and do the LT4 injectors at the same time. You'll be surprised how much more room you've got with everything else stock so you can pulley down some if you want. I really like Gwatney Performance heads because the exhaust is so much better and that's a plus for a blower. Very nice plan.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Doing a LT4 cam won't get you anymore fuel than your stock cam and for your goals you need more fuel.

I agree with the above!!! on the LT4 injectors. I wish I had done that too even though I"m not boosted yet.

If your Staying with the stock converter TSP says the 6.2LT1 stage 1 cam is to big for your converter. It's designed more for the cars not our trucks.

I have the TSP stage 2 5.3 218/226 cam in my 6.2 and really like it (but I think I could have gotten away with the stage 3). You can here it's got a cam if you listen but not a super hard chop. It's got a 32% fuel lobe for when I go boosted. I want the truck payed off first.

And If you do go with a larger fuel lobe. For the love of god measure for your lash cap. When I did my cam I didn't know that was a thing and just went with the comp cams lash cap that TSP supplied. It's was to big for my 32% over and my stock 6.2 HPFP and was bottoming out. It would work for a week or two then start chirping. Imagine just putting your engine back together then 2 week later hearing a chirping coming from it like it's a lifter. I fail 2 HPFP before I found a thread on the corvette forum about it. I ended up with the LS7 lash cap and it's been good to go the last several thousand miles.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

What suspension mods do you have so far?

It seems that you have a pretty good grasp of what you want to do so far. These trucks take very well to mods. If it were me, I would start with the supporting stuff first and then add the whipple last. But that's definitely not a necessity at all just how I would do it.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (09-15-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by tjmath

It seems that you have a pretty good grasp of what you want to do so far. These trucks take very well to mods. If it were me, I would start with the supporting stuff first and then add the whipple last. But that's definitely not a necessity at all just how I would do it.
But that's no fun lol! I actually have never done anything else since and I absolutely love it. It's not fast mind you but it'll spank a C7, SS or a 5.0 at a light even fully loaded. It's been a blast.
The following users liked this post:
tjmath (09-03-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
If you're starting with the Whipple be sure and do the LT4 injectors at the same time. You'll be surprised how much more room you've got with everything else stock so you can pulley down some if you want. I really like Gwatney Performance heads because the exhaust is so much better and that's a plus for a blower. Very nice plan.
Thanks, I'll throw the injectors in at that time, that one is "easier" I still hear with the DI it can be a bit of a pain. I'll check out the Gwatney for sure.

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
Doing a LT4 cam won't get you anymore fuel than your stock cam and for your goals you need more fuel.

I agree with the above!!! on the LT4 injectors. I wish I had done that too even though I"m not boosted yet.

If your Staying with the stock converter TSP says the 6.2LT1 stage 1 cam is to big for your converter. It's designed more for the cars not our trucks.

I have the TSP stage 2 5.3 218/226 cam in my 6.2 and really like it (but I think I could have gotten away with the stage 3). You can here it's got a cam if you listen but not a super hard chop. It's got a 32% fuel lobe for when I go boosted. I want the truck payed off first.

And If you do go with a larger fuel lobe. For the love of god measure for your lash cap. When I did my cam I didn't know that was a thing and just went with the comp cams lash cap that TSP supplied. It's was to big for my 32% over and my stock 6.2 HPFP and was bottoming out. It would work for a week or two then start chirping. Imagine just putting your engine back together then 2 week later hearing a chirping coming from it like it's a lifter. I fail 2 HPFP before I found a thread on the corvette forum about it. I ended up with the LS7 lash cap and it's been good to go the last several thousand miles.
I've heard about the lash cap issue and I'l make sure to tackle and measure it at that time. I'd like to do allot of this right the first time. Did you replace your converter?

Originally Posted by tjmath

I have King 2.5s reservoir shocks and aftermarket UCAs. I hated the stock shocks.

Figure start with the big bang stuff first then move on, doing anything that is needed to support the gains at that time. LT4 injectors sounds like they should be done with the blower, so I'll do those.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

do you daily your truck or off road with it? What didnt you like about the factory suspension? Thats a hell of an upgrade.

Id recommend doing the cam, heads and headers before the blower. Then do the HPFP, injectors and blower together. Depending on what fuel and power you want, meth might be a good idea too.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Choda
do you daily your truck or off road with it? What didnt you like about the factory suspension? Thats a hell of an upgrade.

Id recommend doing the cam, heads and headers before the blower. Then do the HPFP, injectors and blower together. Depending on what fuel and power you want, meth might be a good idea too.
I daily it, that said I found the stock shocks to be too soft. Some bumps it would take the truck a while to stop bouncing. On large undulations in the road the truck would be uncontrolled and there were a few i'd hit at 80 and I know I got airborne. My inlaws live out in the country and their road is paved, but has some large dips and humps in it. In my 18' they were always a "hold on" at anything over 30 mph. My 01 has Bilstein 5100s on it and they handled it better, but still harsh. These are a bit extreme but other than electronic shocks, they are the best shocks I've ever experienced. I do plan to do some light offroad with them, but it is really more about control and the ability to not slow down for much.
I realize i'm crossing interests here a bit, but I've always wanted my truck to good at many things, but not necessarily perfect at one. I MTB, hike, and other off-road activities, but I've also owned a CTS-V2 Wagon, CTS-V3, ATS-V, and C7-Z06 in the last 5 years and tracked (road course) them all.

I have two concerns going cam/heads first, allot of Cams for blowers are smaller intake, more exhaust, so wouldn't that lead to odd driving characteristics in a NA situation? That said the cams I listed are intended for both. Also I know with a Whipple I can bolt on and go, but sounds like Injectors would be good. But i'd like to hear your rationale also.
I plan to do a larger radiator also.
personally I'm not keen on Meth, I think it is great for the drag strip or times of known use (if that makes sense). I'm not going for max power, but good, reliable, and usable power.

Last edited by stone150; 09-04-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm still on stock converter

I talked a guy on HP tuner for that had my cam on his L86 he has a smaller fuel lobe with only 10% over.

But here is his sig I copied over.

2017 Crew Short 4x4 - 575hp/581trq at the tire in 5th gear at 7psi at 5.4ms pulsewidth at .82lamda on 91 e10 fuel
L86 to A8, Stock fuel system with added flex sensor, Magnuson TVS 2300 at 7psi, TSP L83 stage 2 cam, 10% lobe, VVT locked out, Valvetrain upgrade, S&B CAI,TSP LTH no Cats, Magnaflow 3.5 Cat Back, Lowered 3in in the rear, Nitto NT 420S 305/40r22 - for summer, 2-piece rear drive line,BDS recoil traction bars
Old 09-04-2020, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

I was super surprised how big of a difference the Kings made when I installed mine as well. Night and day difference in ride quality.

Quick Reply: L86 Build up