Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L33 specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 specs

I was just wondering what all was different about the L33 from the iron block 5.3, like if it has a different head/cam combo too....
Old 07-11-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At one point someone said the heads were LS6 heads along with different tuning. I'm not sure if the bump stick is the same or not.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a search, this has been asked before. The L33 has flat pistons and a diferent cam too but i believe they share the same heads.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Here is some info I have collected.
They do use LS6 head castings, with larger than LM7 valves.
I have some more details somewhere, I'll try to dig them up.

Bone stock dyno graph at bottom, done by Nelsons Performance I think.

The first engine: a new aluminum version of the Vortec 5.3
GM will use an aluminum Vortec 5.3 liter engine with its Hydramatic 4L60-E automatic transmission. This is the first combination of the two, and power and economy data are not yet available.
The all-aluminum version of the 5.3 will have a variety of improvements. The engine block is 100 pounds lighter than the standard truck version of the 5.3 V8, and is cast of Vortec 5300 Improvements Chevy's new roadster features the Vortec 5300 engine, refined to provide a quieter, yet more aggressive driving experience for the SSR customer. The all-aluminum 5.3-liter V8 will showcase a variety of performance, durability and noise improvements, resulting from innovative use of structural materials, calibration and components.
319-T7 aluminum alloy. Aluminum's thermal characteristics provide improved heat rejection, resulting in cleaner emissions from faster catalytic converter "light off," faster heater core warmup for vehicle occupants, and cooler piston and oil temperatures for improved durability.
The all-aluminum Vortec 5300 V8 builds on the small-block tradition started by the 5.7-liter V8s featured in the Chevrolet Corvette. The engine block is produced by the gravity-poured precision sand casting process. This process allows cylinder liners to be cast in-place and yields exceptional cast quality. The engine is tested to identical levels of endurance as the cast-iron Vortec 5300 engine.
The engine features new quiet-profile pistons to ensure that the pistons track straight in their bores, minimizing clearances as the pistons rock under gas pressure. The pistons are polymer-coated to reduce cold scuffing and engine noise. Polymer-coated pistons, long a mainstay in luxury car engines, enable tighter bore clearances, provide enduring wear surfaces between pistons and cylinder walls, and further reduce piston motion.
The deep-skirt engine block design, with six-bolt main bearings, allows cross bolting of the bearing caps, limiting crank flex, stiffening the engine's structure and reducing overall vibration.
The also saves weight with a new oil pan design. Due to the lower, shorter design of the SSR, the new "pan-axle" design allows the front differential to pass through the oil pan, resulting in weight savings, while optimizing the use of under-hood space. (Note: this paragraph was taken from a GM press release on the SSR, but GM may have used it by accident since there will reportedly be no all wheel drive SSR).
Exhaust catalyst and emissions control system calibration have been improved to allow the engine to meet federal emissions and California Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) standards without an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
The aluminum engine, like its iron sibling, uses platinum-tipped spark plugs to extend plug life to 100,000 miles, while the coolant maintains its cooling and corrosion-inhibiting properties for 150,000 miles. Scheduled maintenance is limited to oil changes when indicated by the engine oil life monitoring system or at 10,000 mile intervals (whichever comes first). The cam is within the block.

LM7 Left - L33 Right
Both are 2005

Compression Ratio
9.49:1 9.9:1

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust
6.96 mm 7.2 mm
0.274 in 0.283 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake
6.82 mm 7.2 mm
0.268 in 0.283 in

Valves - Valve Lift - Intake Valves
11.58 mm 12.24 mm
0.456 in 0.482 in

Valves - Valve Lift - Exhaust Valves
11.82 mm 12.24 mm
0.465 in 0.482 in
Attached Thumbnails L33 specs-stock-l33-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by Moddoo; 07-11-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info... BTW how do you like the corsa and w4me tune on your '06?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by toneloc12345
thanks for the info... BTW how do you like the corsa and w4me tune on your '06?
No sweat,
I am very happy with both. I got the touring corsa system and it's quiet but sounds great. It should go well with the headers I am going to get. I am getting some help do some logging tomorrow with HPT to see how good the wait4me really is. It feels much better than stock.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fellas.

Hey,

That is my dyno chart of the stock L33 done in the heat of the summer in Atlanta.
See my sig for the Radix numbers. Also in the summer heat. I love cool weather.
Just rolled 19K on the motor. I play a bit every time I drive it. Absolutly no probs. Put the radix on at 5k. Run Mobil1 for 5k.
Added the CAI on the 3rd pull for 16.7 more HP. And she was hotter yet. I gotta get down there this winter.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Nice truck Rock

I checked out my tune with HPT last night.
It looked decent, but there is definately more on the table.
We found only 20-21 degrees of timing above 4000rpm.
Also fuel was a little lean.
We manually gave it 28 degrees and forced a 12.8 AFR,
Holy Sheet, felt much better like that.
Then we went for 30 degrees and got only a little knock.
Anyhow we got some good info that I can relay to Jesse for a retune.
I don't know if anyone has had much time tuning the L33.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nothing like drumming up an old thread, but it's informative. Just one question, thank you for bearing with me; Did the L33 get the TBSS intake manifold, too..................
Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

One more question for those in the know here; Did the L33 evern come in a CC for 2006- 07. Anything I've ever found says that it only came in the EC. And how would I know it by looking at the VIN? thanks.....................

Quick Reply: L33 specs