Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Injector problems ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey flyer, don't forget about what i wanted to try, come on down, and i want to flash your pcm with the latest cal and start fresh, you mentioned all those values in your pcm came from the older truck, that can cause problems sometimes, so let's start there as soon as you can.

Why didn't you say something Tex, I love to run, hehehe.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
Why didn't you say something Tex, I love to run, hehehe.

Fun race!!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:21 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
If you really think its an injector issue, I'd try to get your personal sponsor "project R" to get them back to Magna as a warrranty item.
Offer was extended already
Old 03-26-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's who I was talking to BigTex, I just didn't want to say so without him nkowing to keep him from getting bombarded with other problems.

The ltrims do go normal off idle. They are a little positive, but nothing bad. You can smell the richness. It is blowing smoke when I get on it hard.

That's another reason I think it's the injectors. At idle, when fuel pressure is low, and pulsewidth is short, it's just dripping. WIth more fuel pressure and longer pulses, it's OK. It looks like it's running rich, and smells it to me.

Allen, mine was nice and heat soaked too. Besides ... your suppose to get mine running better. All this hype about the tunes ... I'm ready to see it start paying off. I knew it was over when I saw you leaning over doing something, and the bright red switch hanging out of the dash just confirmed it. No worries ... I'm just giving you a hard time. Besides, gimmie that little shiney thing you had, and it's on like donkey kong!
Old 03-28-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I notice the fuel pressure is dropping slightly up top. I check it out a little more and notice it's only about 2 psi that it's dropping. I come home, reset the fuel trims and go check it out again. Pressure stays strong. Tonite, I am running it a little bit, and watch the pressure, stays strong.

After the 45 minutes of highway driving, at low rpm's and steady speeds, I make another WOT run. It starts dropping again. This time it's getting down as low as 58'ish psi. I notice though, when the fuel pressure drops, it's pulling so freaking strong.

I think it's the injectors at the low demand are dripping, making the stft's and ltft's go way high, since the pcm thinks it's running lean, so at WOT the ltft's are +25 on both sides. Since they are +25 on both sides, the fuel pumps are having a hard time keeping up.

I think I am going to put the stock injectors in the RADIX intake tomorrow to see how it idles with them in there. I'm hoping it smoothes out a considerable amount. Then I will know if the injectors are the problem or not.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you positive its not a sparkplug or a wire issue?
Old 03-28-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

plugs were changed today, wires are factory with less than 14k on them.

I am 99% sure it isn't a wire though. It isn't a dead miss. Before I changed the plugs out, I could feel a miss every now and then on a cold start from the plugs going bad.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Are you positive its not a sparkplug or a wire issue?
May I direct your attention to Post No 8 on this thread:

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Peeped at your plugs and/or wires yet? Have an intake manifold leak/IAC/EGR leak?

I have a set of injectors that are 16 years old and 115K mi on my F150 and have no problems with them at all...years ago I had a set of FMS 24lbs/hr's that I ran on a car that were on a shelf for like 9-12 months before I go them. Tossed on new o-rings and ran them to their appx 320whp limit (at a 40psi FP).

3M makes the best kit I've seen to clean injectors. It uses a can that screws into that schrader valve on the fuel rail and uses a fuel/cleaner in the can to clean them. It's around $90 or so.

RC Engineering has the capacity to flow test and clean injectors also...
Old 03-28-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I forgot to mention ... the plugs looked fine.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

DId some more work today ... I thought maybe the fuel filter was clogged and/or the in-tank pump was not working good. I changed the filter, blew it out and there was some **** in it. I don't know what it was really, but it looked like grey gas coming out. I bypassed the in-line pump when I put the new filter in, but it held pressure up and did the same thing. I hooked the other one back up and it was sitll doing the same thing.

I think I am going to give the injector swap a shot tomorrow. I was really not looking forward to doing the injectors, but I guess that's about the only thing left to try.

After that, I think I'm going to get a new timing chain and a cam and see what happens there. I do remember that the chain had a little slack in it when it was off.

Man ... this is so freakin frustrating.

Quick Reply: Injector problems ....