Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info about throttle stick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Info about throttle stick?

I was reading the EGR delete post and people were mentioning the infamous throttle stick...I was wondering if that it what's happening to me.

It only happens on cold starts, mostly when my truck's been sitting overnight. When I press the gas to go (doesn't matter how hard), it hesitates for a second and feels like it's bogging, then catches and goes. Does this for like the first 2 minutes or so, then it warms up enough to stop. Does this sound like throttle stick or something else? Any suggestions on how to cure it?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

it shouldnt be doing that with a radix on it since the tb is away from the intake. remove the hose from the tb in the morning before you start it. move the throttle by hand and see if it is sticking and/or any carbon build up on the tb and the blade. good luck.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunder, the throttle stick everyone is talking about can be felt in the gas pedal itself. When at idle, you press the gas, it doesn't move, you press a little harder and it "breaks free". It makes taking off slow(why wouuld anyone want to do that ) nearly impossible if it gets bad enough. It's a real PITA when the road is wet and you have GTIIs.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Launching!

the bogging down you feel may be the maf...2000 at work was doing a similar bogging when cold...dealer replaced the maf and the problem no longer existed...
Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JRsilverado
Thunder, the throttle stick everyone is talking about can be felt in the gas pedal itself. When at idle, you press the gas, it doesn't move, you press a little harder and it "breaks free". It makes taking off slow(why wouuld anyone want to do that ) nearly impossible if it gets bad enough. It's a real PITA when the road is wet and you have GTIIs.
I am glad to see this post because my truck has been doing this and I felt sure that is was the butterfly in the throttle body sticking. What is the fix for this?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

I would like to know this as well......... when I bought my truck it started to happen shortly after, I bitched about it and all they did was clean the TB and it went away for about 2 weeks then came back.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:46 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OKLAGMCRUISER
the bogging down you feel may be the maf...2000 at work was doing a similar bogging when cold...dealer replaced the maf and the problem no longer existed...
Cool...gives me a place to start looking. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6gear
I am glad to see this post because my truck has been doing this and I felt sure that is was the butterfly in the throttle body sticking. What is the fix for this?
I just unscrewed the tb and cleaned it with tb cleaner. That was probably 20k miles ago and I haven't had to clean it since.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Mine was sticking too so I took it to a local mechanic. All he did was tighten the slack in the throttle cable and it hasnt done it since. The problem was that when I let off and shut the truck off the slack in the cable caused the throttle to close too far and stick.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem you guys are all seeing is a usual problem with some grime clogging up in the Throttle body. It will case the butterfly of the TB to stick closed. All you need to do is pull off the intake and clean as much as you can around the throttle body blade and also the blade itself near the bottom and the top.

Most use TB cleaner, but I just used a little bit of rubbing alcohol that I had lying around.

Quick Reply: Info about throttle stick?