Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Idle issues after ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle issues after ported TB

My truck has been running strange since putting on the ported throttle body. the trans shifts seem all whacky and it keeps nearly stalling when i come to a stop especially if i'm turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other. I adjusted the idle screw so my tuner read 0% tps. What do i need to do to fix this idle issue? I have hptuners. fyi

oh, and i'm seeing these 3 codes. P0172, 0175 bank 1 too rich, bank 2 too rich, and Nd041 unknown error. what the hell is going on?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i know this sounds stupid but... did you disconnect your batery when you installed it? If so then you should check to make sure you re-connected it all the way!!

Second, look at the blade on the TB and see if the hole in the center is a little bigger than the old one you have if it is then thats part of the idle problem... Then again if you say its idling lower then thats definatley not it!!!!!

Any rich and or lean codes that you are recieving mean that it is happening after the MAFS. If you have a problem, I'd start looking around the intake manifold where the injectors are cause something aint right. Either that or you tuned it wrong...No offense but it happens. You say you reset the TPS sensor...what was it at before, maybe that has something to do with it, but thats just a guess!!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd like to know too, cause I'm going to be sending a TB off to be ported soon myself. So maybe I can avoid the steps you took. lol
Old 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

here's what i did. took my air intake tube off. unscrewed the iac and tps sensors. unhooked the throttle cables, (lost a little clip for the cruise control) oops, unbolted the stock tb, bolted on the new tb. put everything back on. started the truck, hooked up my predator, tps said 3%, turned down the screw slowly till it read 0. That's it. this is the second ported tb i've tried. Maybe it's all a bad coincidence and my cats and rear o2's are the cause of all my problems. someone must know exactly what my error codes means
Old 05-20-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your error codes mean exactly what you said!!! It doesnt really pinpoint where the problem is it just tells you what the problem is. You say you have HPtuners correct? Well hook it up to the and log whats going on...if its your o2's then it will show up on there. Just watch the numbers on the o2's as they jump around... I beleive it should stay somewhere b/n .0200 - 0.1000 but I'm not exactly sure on those numbers!! What ever the problem is, its happening at or after the MAFS, and before or at the cats!! Hmmm Im just now reading your sig. Why dont you try giving nelson a call and see about a retune, it sounds like thats all it needs. Check the o2 sensors first then call nelson if thats not the problem. Are you only seeing the problem at idle or...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Nelson is stumped too. I'm gonna be emailling him my latest logs to see if he can figure it out. How do I just shut off my rear o2 sensors?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:07 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your MAF connection. If its unhooked or not firmly hooked up, its going to give you some crazy symptoms, including harsh shifting trans. That would also cause your truck to run off speed density, which could certainly cause over fueling at idle if your VE tables aren't proper for your current mods.

Are your injectors tuned in properly?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Banned

Also you can put the tpis back to a 3%.after getting it to 3% tune key off unplug the tpis sensor wait about 10 ssec. and tune key on and wait 10 more sec. then turn key off and plug back the tpis sensor and it should read 0% and it will idle better
Old 05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by litreddevil
Also you can put the tpis back to a 3%.after getting it to 3% tune key off unplug the tpis sensor wait about 10 ssec. and tune key on and wait 10 more sec. then turn key off and plug back the tpis sensor and it should read 0% and it will idle better
dude, you rule, that worked. no more codes. thanks
Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
dude, you rule, that worked. no more codes. thanks
no problem I have had to do it a few times.glad i could help

Quick Reply: Idle issues after ported TB