Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas to wake up a 5.3 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas to wake up a 5.3 Suburban

Ok, I am still basically a noob when it comes to performance modifications. Thats basically why I joined up here, to learn more. I have a 2001 Chevy 2wd Suburban with a 5.3 liter engine and a 4l60e transmission. So far, I have a Blackbear 87 octane tune, a vette servo in my transmission, and I installed 2006 electric fans. Nothing else has been done, all stock intake, exhaust, and everything else. This is also a family hauler, so I can't exactly get too wild with it, and I am also on a pretty tight budget. I just want some ideas on other stuff I can do to get more get up and go out of this big lead sled. The Blackbear tune was a HUGE improvement in itself. But now it has me wanting more. So I was thinking maybe an Airraid intake tube, any other ideas for stuff I can do besides a Supercharger or swapping in a 6.0?
This engine just broke 100k miles, so I would like to avoid doing an engine swap because I know that this engine has a lot of life left in it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

6.0 or blower// or blower and 6.0. 5.3 is a turd in a heavy *** pig suburban.
Cheapest route is a 6.0 gas mileage will get better and it'll blow the doors off that crappy little 5.3
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The more you tear into the engine the less reliable it becomes. Keep in mind that if you have to add or change parts expect to be down for the day.

You could do things like a cam swap, and or better heads.

You will eventually start breaking parts on your quest for more power.

The best bang for the buck would be a 6.0L and a retune.

If your content with the 5.3 then do a cam swap. With new parts, you will be in it about $500-$600

Depending on what gears you have, you could do a gear swap. Depending on Labor rates and parts it could run $500-$700 range for gears and swap. You won't gain power put it will make you quicker.

What ever you decide to do make sure you get the tune adjusted accordingly to get the most gain out of your modification.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I do already have the 3.73 gears. I failed to mention that. Will any exhaust get me any more power, or make it any quicker?
I don't really care about horsepower numbers, I mainly just want this thing to accelerate faster when I stomp on it.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy
I do already have the 3.73 gears. I failed to mention that. Will any exhaust get me any more power, or make it any quicker?
I don't really care about horsepower numbers, I mainly just want this thing to accelerate faster when I stomp on it.
An good full exhaust will help some. But in the end you wont be satisfied. Like said above, more cubes or some sort of power adder is highly recommended
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The most your gonna get is like another 15-20 with bolt ons.

You could do CAI, Exhaust, but at best you may get another 30 overall.

A cam alone can net you another 50 and make a world of difference.

as mentioned to get the most out of any mod get it re tuned.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My best advice.... Find a good deal on a used Maggie. And start saving up for an 80E swap.

An extra 30-50 hp in that heavy-pig Suburban just won't be enough to make you happy. You'll soon want more.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
My best advice.... Find a good deal on a used Maggie. And start saving up for an 80E swap.

An extra 30-50 hp in that heavy-pig Suburban just won't be enough to make you happy. You'll soon want more.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Airaid air tube and long tube headers are the best next bolt-ons. You'll have to get retuned then. Beyond that you are looking at a cam swap or a power adder like have been mentioned.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am already aware that I'll need a retune. I actually already got it retuned about a month ago, just needed him to update my new tire size and I had him adjust the fan turn on temperature. I had him lower it to 203° because it gets awfully hot here in Louisiana in the summer.
Justin told me that I shouldn't need a retune if I just get an intake unless I hear some pinging in the engine at high RPMs. Same for exhaust unless I to headers and true duals. But he did say that if I added both an intake and exhaust that I will need a retune. Regardless, I will email him and ask his advice on retuning no matter what I end up adding.

Quick Reply: Ideas to wake up a 5.3 Suburban