Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much?

hey guys,

I would like to add some noticable power to my truck, but not modify it so far from stock that its not as reliable.

ive seen in a lot of threads that people are running rich after a ton of mods. just how many mods does it take to do that?

Im planning on:
UPD intake, LT headers(ASM or TOG), Magnaflow(or Corsa) Catback, Electric Fans, Westers PCM.........then leave it at that for a while until a charger and crazy stuff

can the westers take care of the problem pretty much?

thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Wester's programming should take care of running rich. I think my problem with running rich, even with the blower on was the headers, but that's fixed now since they are coated.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

The Westers will be the best bang for the buck!! Headers for these trucks are outrageous.

P.S. Is this Jeff from FSC?
Old 11-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Whether it's running rich or something else I think everyone experiences some aggravation sooner or later when it comes to modifying / enhancing ones vehicle. It simply comes with the territory. Lord knows I've experienced my share of frustration with my vehicles.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BADHD

P.S. Is this Jeff from FSC?
yup. wassup. this site is INCREDIBLE

now do you mean headers are outragesly expensive or outragesly good? hehe i know the $$ is the issue. but with the combo i listed in my first post ill bet i can move a little faster
Old 11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeff_03Z71

now do you mean headers are outragesly expensive or outragesly good? hehe i know the $$ is the issue. but with the combo i listed in my first post ill bet i can move a little faster
Both, $500-700+ for them! I mean hell the long tubes on my F-150 were under $200 from Hooker.

Also try an ASP pulley set, ported TB, TransGo shift kit installed by a competant shop, some stall, and Allen (Farmtruc) for a tune...cheaper and local (to me anyway)
Old 11-12-2003, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

thanks. yeah headers are way expensive for these trucks. my buddy got thorleys for his nova for 300 bux.

but i think they are worth it. i mean power without drawbacks well ussually no drawbacks.

as far as tuning, i looked at the nelson tune quickly, and it seems to be more of a thing you take your truck to and get a tune. obviously i cant do that and westers has more of a garuntee
Old 11-12-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah. FSC is good for lift info. But LS1Tech will get your truck moving better!

Anyway. Headers are 800 bones. You gain about 22 rwhp or so. Westers is 400-500 and you gain 20-25 rwhp. Maybe more depends on your combo.

ASP pullies and electric fans are a great mod! Combine ASP Pullies, Fans, tuning, intake and exhaust and your talking a solid 45-50 rwhp. Take my word. I have all those mods and it made a huge difference.

Then again you can spend 500 and get 30-35 rwhp with a simple cam swap!!
Old 11-12-2003, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

nah no cam swap for me. i heard the ls6 cam(example) loses some performance under 2000rpm. i would like to get the high rpm gain, but that lowend is really precious to me...

and as far as pullies/fans, i didnt know you could run both of those? did you get an overdrive alternator pulley to charge like stock? cause the e fans no doubt pull more power.

and yeah im thinking about headers and westers no need to figure which ones better im gonna do westers last tho, because the pcm for 03 is a little too much right now(600) so ill wait til it drops to the 500 price of the 02 and earliers

thanks yall i think im going to do e-fans first and hopefully Oxider at magnaflow will need my truck for testing a catback
Old 11-12-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

nah no cam swap for me. i heard the ls6 cam(example) loses some performance under 2000rpm. i would like to get the high rpm gain, but that lowend is really precious to me...

and as far as pullies/fans, i didnt know you could run both of those? did you get an overdrive alternator pulley to charge like stock? cause the e fans no doubt pull more power.

and yeah im thinking about headers and westers no need to figure which ones better im gonna do westers last tho, because the pcm for 03 is a little too much right now(600) so ill wait til it drops to the 500 price of the 02 and earliers

thanks yall i think im going to do e-fans first and hopefully Oxider at magnaflow will need my truck for testing a catback

That Z06 cam is for a light car, not a big *** truck. A nice 214/220 .520/.540 on 114lsa is a good street cam and would work well in a truck. Plus if you got it ground with advance into it, I'd probably make more torque down low than the stock one.

I have pulleys and soon fans (gotta love Thanksgiving) on my Ford. I have an OD alt pulley with a 130A and I still wanted full charge at idle so I ordered a 200A unit. I would at least get a 130A with the fans on your truck. If you decide to do pulleys too I'd invest in a 200A alt.

Once you got the itch for speed, it never ends...it may stop for a while until you upgrade like me. Ummm diesel power!