Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the Duramax compare to the Powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who stands behind the engine and transmission with a 100,000 mile warrantee?????

Chevy - GMC that's who!

Duramax all the way!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have to agree on the tranny issue behind the Cummins. My Uncle has the 5 speed behind his 94 and he had to have the overdrive fixed. Apparently it is a very common issue. Dodge put a new automatic on the table and a new HO motor came out in December(300 horse, 600ft/lbs). I am waiting to see more info on the 6-speed behind the newer Cummins.

Either way, until the D-max or the Stupid-stroke get a medium duty rating like the Cummins, I will still have only one decision to make....What color should that ugly wrapper come in??

Todd
Old 01-14-2004, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

I would have to agree...I dont like the look of the Dodges except the 4 door with the 20s, but the 2500 diesels are ugly. Theyre better looking than the older ones, Id have to admit that. The Fords dont look too bad, but are just as plain as the Dodges. The Chevys...theyre one of a kind. They have so many cool features and options. You get into a Ford or Dodge and its plain jane. You get into a Chevy, its got all kinds of neat things that it does. Anywhere from the optional 4 way steering to the Bose sound system with the in dash 6 cd changer, to the dual climate control, etc. you name. Theyre so much more modern and future like. I dunno, I like stuff like that. I know some of you are probably thinking, who cares its a truck, but I rather be in a Chevy than a Ford or Dodge. Its kind like comparing a jam packed action movie with lots of special effects to a "b" movie. (one that is so boring and plain and took very little money to make.) I just want a truck that can pull a trailer and a car. I dont need to pull any 12k lbs. trailer or use it for anything extreme. I just need something more powerful than a 6 cylinder 1500 Chevy pickup. The 200 horse that it comes with just isnt going to cut it. Plus, I love diesels...driving them feels like your king of the road. LOL But seriously, I just love hearing the diesel motor and the turbo spool up when you get on it! By the way, are the Duramaxes tubro charged? Thanks all for your input.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, are the Duramaxes tubro charged?
Oh yea, its charged! Diesel=Sound, smoke, power!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

I hate it when people say who cares it's a truck. It's commonly heard from ford truck guys. I have never understood it. It's a truck, so that means it isn't allowed to have a nice interior and instead should have a interior that looks like it came out of a school bus like the ford trucks have? some people use the statement who cares it's a truck as an excuse to not take care of the interior/exterior of the vehicle. I can tell you that my truck cost me about twice as much as my camaro, so you can bet I'll be taking extra good care of it.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

does it have a turbo? lol. good god yea it does. when you hit 30 psi of boost in one, you know it
Old 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

From automotive news.
"Ford has faced some serious mechanical problems with its 6.0l power stroke diesel v-8, problems so severe that the company launched a recall on more the 66,000 trucks and has had to buy some 500 trucks back from disgruntled owners."

"The trouble seemed to arise from some faulty fuel injectors installed in the engines during the first five months of production. The injectors leaked- so much that the oil pan would fill with fuel and cause the engine to seize. Ford also found problems with the engine's turbocharger and its computer management software."

I dont think i would be buying one of those navistar's for another year or two. Give ford some time to work all the bugs out.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Oh yeah, What programmer are you guys useing to make 800rwtq on the duramax. A friend of mine has an 02' duramax and he wants more power. Thanks
Old 01-17-2004, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

i like the duramax for my personal choice not to mention a better ride
Old 01-17-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Smartass6885
Oh yeah, What programmer are you guys useing to make 800rwtq on the duramax. A friend of mine has an 02' duramax and he wants more power. Thanks

The Edge Hot OJ box seems to be the easiest way BUT that power will smoke the stock converter. I'd get at least a weld in diesel muffler and a higher flow intake too.

Quick Reply: How does the Duramax compare to the Powerstroke?