Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How does the Duramax compare to the Powerstroke?

Old 01-10-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as diesels not polluting, they do. It may not be harmful gasses like gas motors but the soot that diesels put off can be quite bad in certain environments. I visisted central american countries a while back and most of the vehicles were diesel powered. I spent a week in a large city and was picking diesel boogers all week long. The soot that they put off in a city environment has to be bad for you long term. In only a weeks time I had black crap in my nose all week long. Imagine breathing that all the time. I think diesel motors are great in my opinion and I cant wait to see them in more passenger vehicle and performance applications. But as of now everyone needs to push refineries to burn off more impurities in the diesel fuel. If it was refined more than you would not see billowing black smoke coming out of semi stacks.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hamburgler25
i also read somewhere that a question of the powdered metal connecting rods. im a bit disapointed in the person that said that as all of our ls1 based motors have powdered metal connecting rods along with the bitchen ls6 405 hp motor.
I mentioned that the late 7.3 Powerstroke engines used powdered rods and that they will need to be replaced in order to make big power. I'm not sure what why it would be disappointing, it's the truth. The stock 7.3 rods will fail if you push them too hard.

I am aware that the LS1 based engines use PM rods. They are good rods. Fact is that that forged rods are stronger.

Originally Posted by hamburgler25
so i dont believe a stregth issue is there considering some of our 4200 pound trucks are running in the 11's with the same connecting rods.
Maybe, but the duramax can push a 7200 pound truck into the 11s without even touching any part of the engine. I'm not too sure the stock shortblock engine in my Z28 with PM rods would hold together very long if it all if it was producing enough power to produce those times in that heavy of a truck.

I agree with you that the cummins is the most bulletproof of the 3 engines. I can also tell you that I will never own one until they start putting them in something other than a dodge.

The IFS has a reputation that is worse than what is actually the case, IMO. It has its advantages and disadvantages. The IFS in the new trucks is stronger than most will admit. Even most ford and dodge guys will tell you that the chevy truck is the best riding of the bunch. The solid front axle setups are stronger, but they still can fail once in a while.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Banned

www.quadzillapower.com

he had a twin turbo cummins shop truck that made like 1500 torque or some insane number like that. Quad knows his ****....any of you guys with questions should hit him up.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Ford started using P.M. rods in late 2000. '95-early '00 use forged rods. It is true that the Cummins probably is the best motor for getting the most H.P. the cheapest and most reliably, however for me I needed a true Crew Cab. I have heard the Dodge is going to make some changes and actually get some increased back seat room next year, if that happens. I will definitly be moving to them and away from my '00 Power Stroke. BTW, my truck has been rock solid reliable since new, runs very strong with upgrades, 310 horse at wheels with 605 lb/ft torque. Surprises the rice burners at stop lights, nothing like an 8400lb dually leaving four long black stripes on the pavement!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jorday
I mentioned that the late 7.3 Powerstroke engines used powdered rods and that they will need to be replaced in order to make big power. I'm not sure what why it would be disappointing, it's the truth. The stock 7.3 rods will fail if you push them too hard.

I am aware that the LS1 based engines use PM rods. They are good rods. Fact is that that forged rods are stronger.

Maybe, but the duramax can push a 7200 pound truck into the 11s without even touching any part of the engine. I'm not too sure the stock shortblock engine in my Z28 with PM rods would hold together very long if it all if it was producing enough power to produce those times in that heavy of a truck.

I agree with you that the cummins is the most bulletproof of the 3 engines. I can also tell you that I will never own one until they start putting them in something other than a dodge.

The IFS has a reputation that is worse than what is actually the case, IMO. It has its advantages and disadvantages. The IFS in the new trucks is stronger than most will admit. Even most ford and dodge guys will tell you that the chevy truck is the best riding of the bunch. The solid front axle setups are stronger, but they still can fail once in a while.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:40 AM
7 Second Club

I put 100,000 miles on a PSD in a 99 F-350 4x4 dually in 2.5 years.The truck had a Superchips hot chip(yes a chip in the 99's)and the only problem with the engine was a oil leak at the turbo.I pulled a 20,000+ trailer more times than I can count without drama.My current Dmax truck will do everything the PSD did while outrunning it and getting better mileage in a much quieter package.I like the fact that Isuzu is building the Dmax,they have built more diesel engines than anyone in the world.The Japanese have proven they build good engines,even the small equipment that my company uses have Honda engines.I wouldn't have bought a Dmax truck if the engine was built by GM given their horrible attempts at diesel power in the past ie 6.5,5.7 and 6.2 diesels.The Cummins can be built to make insane amounts of power(1700 rwtq) due to it being available in a 66,000 gvw highway tractor.The bigger injectors,turbo and cams from the big trucks are easily bolted on a 5.9.They can make big power but I don't see me owning another POS Mopar anytime soon.The engine is the only think about the truck I like.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can make big power but I don't see me owning another POS Mopar anytime soon.The engine is the only think about the truck I like.
Thats the drawback to the Cummins! Great engine! Ugly wrapper! I wouldnt go so far as to say Isuzu doesnt know how to build a diesel. I work on Thermo King refrigeration units. They have little mechanical Isuzu 2.2 diesels in them. Thermo King has been using Isuzu for a long time! And before that it was Yanmar diesels. Never any big problems, other than maybe timing gears. These enignes run non-stop during the summer. I think the most hours I have seen on one is probably 34,000 hours of total run time and the only thing wrong with it was an injector or water pump. I cant tell you what 34,000 hours would equate to in miles. I know these engines arent the D-Max, but I will tell you I wouldnt be worried about owning one. They are made by the same company. Long term reliability should not be an issue. Cummins builds little 4-banger diesels for Case equipment and have been running strong for a long time. CaseIH has been using Cummins for as long as I can remember. Only its called Consolidated Diesel.. You cant go worng with either engine, D-Max or the Cummins. The Dodge wrapper sucks on the Cummins but I dont think I mind it that much. The NBS Rams look a far cry better than a 96 or 97 2500 Ram. Manual tranny is the only way to go with a MOPAR truck. On the Chevy/Gm, its has its pro's. Like teaming the Allison 1000Series with the D-max. Awesome tranny that can be built to withstand unbelievable HP/TQ numnbers. All comes down to personal preference and wether or not you like to shift. I guess.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

i love it that idiots think jap products are junk just because they are built by Japs. give me a break. the ONLY think i dont like about the dodge is the transmissions. they are still far behind at at this point there arent any proven trannys dodge has built to handle the cummins modded power. i hear they are coming out with an allison type tranny soon. but we will see.

the other thing i loved about our duramax (and same goes to ford) is the 5 minute install of an additional 300+ rwtq. cant do that on a cummins. i do hear with a program by edge (same as we have on the DMax) that the 6.0 motor will make just the same type power. gotta love that fact. also we can take off the programers in a matter of minutes and adjust boost with a touch of a button.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club NA

WOW! I did not think it would be drug out this far or get this many responses! I am shocked! All I have to say is nice info everyone. I thought this thread was going to age and move further and further away from the top! I didnt realize how much there was to know about them and the rest of the diesels out there. I figured, hel...this is an LS1 board, of course everyone is going to say Chevy is better, because youre biased. Anyhow, thank you so much for all the info so far.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

in the world of diesels there is fierce competition, esp with all the hp wars lately with GM, Ford, and Cummins. go on a diesel board and there are some wars. lol. esp now with teh programers making so much power. our duramax makes over 800 rwtq with only programing as the mod. not even exhaust yet.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

The power wars are raging between them lately. If dodge comes out with a transmission similar to the allison, it will probably be difficult to find something to complain about with that combo, though I personally do not like the ram pickup.

and the Fact is Isuzu is one of the largest producers of diesel engines in the world...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does the Duramax compare to the Powerstroke?