Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

hey im new so take it easy k

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking hey im new so take it easy k

I have a 1999 gmc seirra 1500 4x4 with 5.3 i did install cai and flowmaster exhaust it runs great never a prob idling or starting it does not use any oil and it has been well cared for since new its a 2 owner the guy who bought it new and now me!!! i want more power and torque and i do not care about mpg!!! i want it to smoke em from a stand still and chirp every time it shifts what do i do? And i can do all the work myself, but since our home was lost to a fire a 1.5 yrs ago money is tight and i cant take from my wife and kids if any of you know what i mean about that i need the cheapest and most reliable techs for this ordeal ok so let me have it thanx for any input
Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend some time using the "Search" button above. It will become your friend and give you a lot of good ideas . The 'Stickys' at the top of each thread also have some very helpful info.

This is a good start:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=395748

Most people are going to recommend LT headers, a tune, gear change to 4.10s, cam, stall, etc.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum...Post up some pics...

-The best bang for your buck with good sotp feel would be a cam/converter/custom tune...If there is anything left after that get gears and longtube headers

Used 220ish cam $200
Pac springs new $140
TBTC converter $100
Tune $100-$350
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM

i dont have alot of cash for cams and headers and all that i was hoping maybe like flow the intake or bigger injectors it has the carbon plastic intake which i was told was a good one to stick with!! After the fire i am using evry penny i have to get bak all the kids stuff and my wifes stuff so the truck fund is at 0 dollars right now so hp gains i can do by modifying the stock stuff is what i am wondering u know!!! will taking off my clutch fan and adding an efan make a diff will a throttle body spacer give me any gains and so on and so forth u guys get what im after right and if i take the front shaft off the tranfer case do anything performance wise any thing that is little or no dollar mods is what i am after so thanx again for any and all ideas you all can give me would mean alot so i can take care of my wife and kids first while still filling my need for tire smoking and wheel chirping fun lol

Last edited by GMPOWERFREAK; 01-20-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

There are not a lot of mods you can do that are free AND give you seat of the pants hp. And throttle body spacers are trash, IMO. E-fans cost money.

Sounds like you need to take care of your family first. The truck can come later. Go to the drag strip with a friend to satisfy your needs.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Ditch the fan and put on e fans, that should net you a couple horse plus throttle response, a throttle body spacer is a good start but really doesnt do a whole lot but im sure you will feel something. Cut a hole in the bottom of your stock airbox and replace the air tube with something more stream lined- pvp pipe works good if you put a 90* boot at the end - thats another couple horsies...... as for the rest your best and cheapest way of going about this sounds like to do a tune. $300 and you can turn off all the factory BS settings they put on the motors. Also a set of Long Tube header and ory (Off Road Y pip) with collectors would make it that much better!

Go through your truck and dump any extra weight you dont need in the truck, like my avalanche, I busted the stock Jack so I threw it away along with all the parts that go with it. Now if I am going on a road trip, I pack the spare in the back with a 5000lb floor jack that wont break... stuff like that, Alot of space can be removed from the stock exhaust if you can barter your way for parts and services
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Welcome to the club and the more you read the more things you will that you can do yourself for less money, hang around and read the stickys, they really do help a ton !
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
formerly NORTH TEXAS TBSS, then slowgibbs, and now back to NORTH TEXAS TBSS :) (2012-05-27)

Originally Posted by GMPOWERFREAK
i dont have alot of cash for cams and headers and all that i was hoping maybe like flow the intake or bigger injectors it has the carbon plastic intake which i was told was a good one to stick with!! After the fire i am using evry penny i have to get bak all the kids stuff and my wifes stuff so the truck fund is at 0 dollars right now so hp gains i can do by modifying the stock stuff is what i am wondering u know!!! will taking off my clutch fan and adding an efan make a diff will a throttle body spacer give me any gains and so on and so forth u guys get what im after right and if i take the front shaft off the tranfer case do anything performance wise any thing that is little or no dollar mods is what i am after so thanx again for any and all ideas you all can give me would mean alot so i can take care of my wife and kids first while still filling my need for tire smoking and wheel chirping fun lol
Ever heard of punctuation? Dang tryin to read that mess gave me a head ache! Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck with the free mods
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lilfreakytbss
Ever heard of punctuation? Dang tryin to read that mess gave me a head ache! Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck with the free mods
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM

sory bout the rambling !!!! i will dot my I's and cross the t's from now on!!!!! ok and does the exhaust length make a diff like instead of going all the way out the bak at the bumper!!! Or stopping at the front of the rear tires make a diff?!!

Quick Reply: hey im new so take it easy k