Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

help me to choose header

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing im wondering is how is the exhaust smelling awesome ive read that more than one place. just wondering..
Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
It's too bad you can't hear the badass sound once you get those things, but you WILL be able to feel it

I've got pacesetter LTs and ORY, theyre badass.
I could hear when it rev loud. Which is worth for me ha~!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cwalker2006
one thing im wondering is how is the exhaust smelling awesome ive read that more than one place. just wondering..
Okay, my emission required in my locate. Wonder if i get nelson to tune it will cover to pass the emission?

I check on OBX header with cat look like highflow cat? WHich should I go with pacematter or OBX? I really like both of them! Either of them will have a problem hit the frame?

Last edited by Go5.3tt06; 11-03-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your emission check is just the OBDII plug in, you will pass as long as you don't have an illuminated check engine light and all of your monitors have run (readiness tests complete). A Nelson tune won't affect that.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have OBD II emission check, I would wait and have it done and then do the upgrades. Once the headers are on, the tune is done and all the lights go out you still need to drive/start many times before all the emission cycles are complete. It is possible to not have a code but still fail the emissions test.

Also, I would try to spend extra money and get stainless steel headers or plated headers.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Since you have OBD II emission check, I would wait and have it done and then do the upgrades. Once the headers are on, the tune is done and all the lights go out you still need to drive/start many times before all the emission cycles are complete. It is possible to not have a code but still fail the emissions test.

Also, I would try to spend extra money and get stainless steel headers or plated headers.
I agree to a point....you can't swap in a new tune then go straight to inspection, there are many parameters that have to be met before all of the monitors have run. We have people come to our shop all of the time because they failed emissions because their readiness tests are incomplete. We usually hook up a scan tool and drive the vehicle around for them until the tests have run, then we send them back to inspection.

I also agree on going stainless, it's worth the extra coin if you live in an area where the weather gets fowl and they salt the streets in the winter.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I agree to a point....you can't swap in a new tune then go straight to inspection, there are many parameters that have to be met before all of the monitors have run. We have people come to our shop all of the time because they failed emissions because their readiness tests are incomplete. We usually hook up a scan tool and drive the vehicle around for them until the tests have run, then we send them back to inspection.

I also agree on going stainless, it's worth the extra coin if you live in an area where the weather gets fowl and they salt the streets in the winter.
Nooo, the inspection emission wont until next year which is no worry. More likely Im head buy OBX header. Stainless header cost over 1,000 I wouldnt buy that high too silly. All I need to know do I need take pcm back to Nelson to retune again. Obx header seem to me stainless..
1- need retune?
2- need 02 long wire
3- Where to buy cheap header gasket

After that I could have header on it and drive a year before emission test. Should be allright?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
1- need retune? Yep to turn off the codes and get max performance..
2- need 02 long wire I would not think so, i have never heard of anyone needing them
3- Where to buy cheap header gasket reuse the stocker
answers in bold
Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
answers in bold
sounds good. SO once get retune. and put header on it and drive for a year before get emission test. It will pass no problem?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly, the longtubes with no cats wasn't as loud as I was expecting. It really wasn't much louder if at all than my stock exhaust with a cutout before the muffler. I think my cutout is too far back to make it really loud.

Quick Reply: help me to choose header