Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on a 5.3lL engine build

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on a 5.3lL engine build

Hello to everyone just looking for some good advice on how I should go about my 5.3l engine build. I have pre existing issues with the motor which lead me to replacing head gaskets so I figured if I have the heads off I want to upgrade cam for some more power and lifters are noisy so I need to know whats a good fix for that. also push rods ive been seeing that those are good to replace while having all that torn down. I personally haven't torn down an engine to the block so all advice is much appreciated
Old 06-13-2017, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

check out my build thread, search for my user name.
The following users liked this post:
FoDo05GMC5.3 (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on what you are putting the motor in. But if you are going to tear into the bottom end then there are a couple of easy mods you can do for more power.

I just had my heads off my 5.3L and did a cam Lifters Oil pump pushrods sprocket, timing gear, chain Lifter guides, Cam rocker arms valve springs and home ported heads.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FoDo05GMC5.3
Hello to everyone just looking for some good advice on how I should go about my 5.3l engine build. I have pre existing issues with the motor which lead me to replacing head gaskets so I figured if I have the heads off I want to upgrade cam for some more power and lifters are noisy so I need to know whats a good fix for that. also push rods ive been seeing that those are good to replace while having all that torn down. I personally haven't torn down an engine to the block so all advice is much appreciated

FoDo05GMC5.3,

Welcome to the site man! I'd love to help you with your build. What are your goals for the truck and do you have a budget in mind? The link below is a great friend of mine who bought my old crew cab and we worked a heads cam deal into. He drove the truck the day we finished tuning from Fort Worth, TX to Cincinnati, OH. He swears up and down he's getting 17/18 MPGS.

The truck has a reworked factory stall, 243 stage 1 ported heads and a custom truck cam. Sounds great and from what he tells me hurts a lot of feelings. Truck only has 3.08 gears and runs on 32" A/T's with some very heavy BMF wheels with a leveling kit. We had to delete DOD/AFM in his truck. Your build takes quite a bit less to swap. If you have any questions at all, fire away!

-Russ