Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads/cam 5.3. How bad will my gas mileage be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck must be a phenom getting 16 with city/highway combined, just city is prob around 12 but thats cause i roll into wot almost from every stop... i never do less then 75 on the highway... my truck is stock with 3.73s and about 1000 extra lbs in it all the time(tools toolbox random junk, my fat butt etc) i plan to get e fans, camshaft and a tune and get 18 highway!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...6&postcount=46
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I noticed zero improvement in horsepower (SOTP) and mpg's with 05 e-fans.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
FWIW, I noticed zero improvement in horsepower (SOTP) and mpg's with 05 e-fans.
This is because a properly functioning clutch fan doesn't drag on the motor. I don't get what everyone's obsession with e fans is.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seh6183
This is because a properly functioning clutch fan doesn't drag on the motor. I don't get what everyone's obsession with e fans is.
Bullshit...

Regardless of how 'Properly' a clutch fan is working it still causes drag on the motor. Especially at high rpm's... that fan can't fully keep up with the pulleys trying to spin 6k+. On top of all that the E-fans are more efficiant and move a greater amount of air to keep things cool... PLUS they give you room to work on the truck without cutting yourself on the fan blades
Old 06-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by f4tal
Bullshit...

Regardless of how 'Properly' a clutch fan is working it still causes drag on the motor. Especially at high rpm's... that fan can't fully keep up with the pulleys trying to spin 6k+. On top of all that the E-fans are more efficiant and move a greater amount of air to keep things cool... PLUS they give you room to work on the truck without cutting yourself on the fan blades

You need to calm down and have a little respect for others. If you tried to talk to me like this in real life I would slap you in your mouth. I don't care if you have 800 posts and I have 13. You want to provide information thats fine, no need to have such an attitude at all times.

And if you don't mind guy-who-drives-a-prelude-but-hangs-out-in-the-truck-forums, please explain to us all why e fans never net anyone REAL MPG gains.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by f4tal
Bullshit...

What this guy said. Here in AZ where it can reach 115-120 in the summer, the e-fans really shine. my coolant temps never go over 201 with the stock thermostat and stop and go city traffic. Im getting 12.5 city and about 13 hwy driving @ 80. Good thing I have another car to DD.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seh6183
You need to calm down and have a little respect for others. If you tried to talk to me like this in real life I would slap you in your mouth. I don't care if you have 800 posts and I have 13. You want to provide information thats fine, no need to have such an attitude at all times.

And if you don't mind guy-who-drives-a-prelude-but-hangs-out-in-the-truck-forums, please explain to us all why e fans never net anyone REAL MPG gains.
Hahaha

First off I was never trying to be a dick. Im sorry that your 12yrs old and take stuff to heart. Oh and you wouldn't "slap me in my mouth" trust me. Post count doesn't matter to me. It's all based from experience and you my friend have NONE, hence the reason for your questions. Also, I sold my H/C 5.3 truck in order to further my education so that my future can be worth something. That's why I am driving a reliable Honda my last 2yrs of college instead of blowing time and money on my vehicle. I hangout on the truck forums because even though i don't have a truck anymore im knowledgable about trucks so I can help incompetent ***** like you!
Also, if you use the SEARCH button and read through e-fan threads you can witness first hand MPG gains.

Lastly, congrats on being a complete *** and diminishing your chances of ever getting help on this site again.

Good riddence D-bag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssC77hapv0g
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

You've been rude since your very first post on here. With your knowledge came a lot of attitude. And I ASSURE YOU that you would NOT disrepect me in real life.

Enough with that.

I don't plan on spending the rest of my life on this forum so its laughable that you think I'm devastated that my reputation is ruined on here. I had a few simple questions that were answered with very simple replies by most of the board members that replied. You on the other hand are one of the typical no-life board trolls that attack anyone with low posts counts or ask questions that are commonnly asked.

This is a forum. A place for people to talk and ask questions. GOD FORBID the same questions would get brought up by other members more than once. Not every post can be completely original and about someones twin turbo ls7 swap in their damn truck. Things will get brought up over and over. Deal with it. Or better yet if you don't like it, stay off the forums. With your frame of mind these forums wouldn't exist because every topic would have to be all original.

I may not be knowledgeable on these trucks or LS based motors, but I have 650 a rear wheel pump-gas MODULAR mustang. It started out stock.

YOU ARE NOT GOD. Stop acting like it.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

ok, this thread is getting stupid. I believe you found your answers, if not let me recap... MPG really depends on the quality of the tune... Also a Z06 cam sucks.... Inducing more air (air=HP) into the motor will also cause more gas to be used... Plain and simple...

BTW, welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay...