Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown

wtf ... ?

I ran it some, enough to heat up the gaskets and water, for a little while. I was also enjoying the open header sound for a little bit, take off to drive and now it's missing like a SOB!

Any ideas ?

I haven't checked the wires yet, it seems like it's mostly bank2 being 2, 4, and 6 mainly with an occasional 8. The other side isn't worth mentioning.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you pull the plugs during the install? I bumped my plugs when I put my headers on my previous truck and had a bunch of misfires and blinking SES lights because of it. I replaced all the plugs and had no problems after that.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't pull the plugs out, but I did pull the wires off. I'm going to the parts store tomorrow to pick up another set of NGK TR55's.

I don't wanna replace wires yet, but if I have to, it's going to wait until I get some Taylor wires in or something.

Still no rain here either ..

I cross-threaded a header bolt when I did the install too. It was a major PITa to get it in. it was the one in the very back on driver's side. After getting it half way in with a wrench I could finally get a socket on it and get all of 2 clicks at a time.

I may be putting heads on here sooner than I wanted to ...
Old 11-08-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flyer
I didn't pull the plugs out, but I did pull the wires off. I'm going to the parts store tomorrow to pick up another set of NGK TR55's.

I don't wanna replace wires yet, but if I have to, it's going to wait until I get some Taylor wires in or something.

Still no rain here either ..

I cross-threaded a header bolt when I did the install too. It was a major PITa to get it in. it was the one in the very back on driver's side. After getting it half way in with a wrench I could finally get a socket on it and get all of 2 clicks at a time.

I may be putting heads on here sooner than I wanted to ...
heh, i crossthreaded the exact same bolt when i changed gaskets th second time..
Old 11-08-2003, 09:19 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

No rain??? That sucks. It hasn't stopped raining here yet.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

!#()$&!@#& RAIN!!!!! finally get the new motor in and now i can't drive it!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 10:35 PM
single digit dreamer

you dont have open headers now do you? my truck barely ran with open headers. the 02's must be too close to the opening.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

hey parish, glad you mentioned that. i am about to install my ASM's and was considering dumps. what happened? what if i used dumps at the collector? does the A/F go way lean or what?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:12 AM
single digit dreamer

seems like you need the 02's 12" from the opening, i am not sure of that info so maybe someone else will chime in, you can put a dump right where the cat's are but i would put an extention on the dump or do whatever you have to to get far enuff away. i only drove the truck about 10 miles and the first couple were fine then it started missing, i think it went way rich but i am not sure
Old 11-09-2003, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea i heard like you needed like atleast 8" added on past the 02's.
but like parish i am not sure. i drove mine and it missed but it was cause the comp heeded tunning realy bed. you could not even get half throttle.

Quick Reply: Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown