PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/header-install-now-misfire-codes-thrown-112906/)

Flyer 11-08-2003 06:38 PM

Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown

wtf ... ?

I ran it some, enough to heat up the gaskets and water, for a little while. I was also enjoying the open header sound for a little bit, take off to drive and now it's missing like a SOB!

Any ideas ?

I haven't checked the wires yet, it seems like it's mostly bank2 being 2, 4, and 6 mainly with an occasional 8. The other side isn't worth mentioning.

BigTex 11-08-2003 07:15 PM

Did you pull the plugs during the install? I bumped my plugs when I put my headers on my previous truck and had a bunch of misfires and blinking SES lights because of it. I replaced all the plugs and had no problems after that.

Flyer 11-08-2003 07:25 PM

I didn't pull the plugs out, but I did pull the wires off. I'm going to the parts store tomorrow to pick up another set of NGK TR55's.

I don't wanna replace wires yet, but if I have to, it's going to wait until I get some Taylor wires in or something.

Still no rain here either ..

I cross-threaded a header bolt when I did the install too. It was a major PITa to get it in. it was the one in the very back on driver's side. After getting it half way in with a wrench I could finally get a socket on it and get all of 2 clicks at a time.

I may be putting heads on here sooner than I wanted to ... :bang: :bang: :bang:

rgvsierra 11-08-2003 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flyer
I didn't pull the plugs out, but I did pull the wires off. I'm going to the parts store tomorrow to pick up another set of NGK TR55's.

I don't wanna replace wires yet, but if I have to, it's going to wait until I get some Taylor wires in or something.

Still no rain here either ..

I cross-threaded a header bolt when I did the install too. It was a major PITa to get it in. it was the one in the very back on driver's side. After getting it half way in with a wrench I could finally get a socket on it and get all of 2 clicks at a time.

I may be putting heads on here sooner than I wanted to ... :bang: :bang: :bang:

heh, i crossthreaded the exact same bolt when i changed gaskets th second time..

BigTex 11-08-2003 09:19 PM

No rain??? That sucks. It hasn't stopped raining here yet.

Texas Terminator 11-08-2003 09:22 PM

!#()$&!@#& RAIN!!!!! finally get the new motor in and now i can't drive it!!!

parish8 11-08-2003 10:35 PM

you dont have open headers now do you? my truck barely ran with open headers. the 02's must be too close to the opening.

Texas Terminator 11-08-2003 10:53 PM

hey parish, glad you mentioned that. i am about to install my ASM's and was considering dumps. what happened? what if i used dumps at the collector? does the A/F go way lean or what?

parish8 11-09-2003 12:12 AM

seems like you need the 02's 12" from the opening, i am not sure of that info so maybe someone else will chime in, you can put a dump right where the cat's are but i would put an extention on the dump or do whatever you have to to get far enuff away. i only drove the truck about 10 miles and the first couple were fine then it started missing, i think it went way rich but i am not sure

sleepersilverado 11-09-2003 01:39 AM

yea i heard like you needed like atleast 8" added on past the 02's.
but like parish i am not sure. i drove mine and it missed but it was cause the comp heeded tunning realy bed. you could not even get half throttle.