Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

GRRRRR!! edit problems on 03 truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 11:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GRRRRR!! edit problems on 03 truck

i am going nuts here, my edit cable only works once in a while, it takes me line an hour to get the darn thing to connect and download, tonight i messed with it for more than an hour and it just wont work.

i have tried everything i can think of, swaped cables, swaped usb-serial converters. i have to use the bench top harness since it is an 03, i unhooked the computer completely from the truck just in case that other conector is a problem.

tried pluging things in at diferent times.

here is where i am at now, i seem to be able to consistantly read an 01 computer that i have here. i swaped back and forth 3 times in a row tonight just to be sure and everytime it works on the 01pcm and not on the 03pcm, it has worked at least 9 times before but each time it was a pain and i dont know what i did to make it work.

it says it is conected, then geting vin, then got to wait 10sec, then sending security then starts all over, i let it do this for 30min and it just kept cycling.

don't suppose anyone has any ideas? i will send this to carputing and maybe to speartech too.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your using the benchtop cable?

I want EDIT so bad I can damn near taste it, but I want to wait for the in truck tuning to be available.

Did you try rebooring the laptop and/or reinstalling EDIT itself. Maybe to reset some of those ocx and dll files?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:11 PM
single digit dreamer

i have restarted my laptop countless times, reloaded the drivers for the usb-serial converter. i haven't reinstalled edit, that is a good idea, i will try that.

not sure what you mean with the ocx, dll files.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by parish8
not sure what you mean with the ocx, dll files.
From what I could tell ... EDIT uses several of it's own OCX and DLL files. I don't remember what OCX stands for, but DLL is a dynamic link library. They are basically files that actually tell the computer and the OS what to do with the serial port and what to do when the serial port starts recieving data and how to do it.

What about the cable, which are you using? Sounds like the benchtop cable, but I thought it was working just fine.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:22 PM
single digit dreamer

yes i am using the bench top cable, i have had a bitch of a time geting anything to work on my new computer, those usb to serial adapters seems to be prety picky so i assumed my troubles with edit were becasue of the adapter. now i got everything else to work consistantly(fjo+efilive) and now it is time to get edit to work right, especialy with that turbo on the way!!

after geting an adaper that worked once i kept track of the setting and port and all of that to use next time, well no luck, but like i said it worked 3 times in a row with the 01 computer so now i am thinkiing it is a 03 computer problem.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man ... that just convinced me to wait even more so ... sorry abotu your troubles, but maybe you/they will get something figured out. Let me know what they tell you about it, if not here at least in a PM or something. I soooo wanna know more about what the hold up is.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:52 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I haven't seen that behavior before. I have had too low battery power, too high battery power, and other failed attempts, but not the cycling you describe. What version are you using?

You need to invest in a PCMCIA rs232 serial adapter. Its your best choice. Something like this should do the trick (but expensive):

This one is 2 port, but reasonable cost:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...1&loc=101&sp=1
Old 12-18-2003, 11:59 PM
single digit dreamer

ver 1.21

i no longer think it is a adapter problem since i got everything else working and even the 01pcm to work but that does give me another idea, i am just going to go buy a long serial extention cable and try it from my pc inside the house. that should help to answer some questions.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

I have a Belkin USB adapter. Works great for EFILive (after I got the COM ports set right). With Edit it took an hour to download the program. I was really getting worried, but it seems to have worked properly. (I'm still hoping to get a look at another '03 SS file, but I have started tuning anyway.)
When I flash a new tune to the PCM it only takes 2-3 minutes. I don't read the PCM first each time before putting in a new tune. I guess the adapter slows down the PCM-read part the most.
I'm with Tex - get a PCMCIA card if you think that's the problem.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Seems like you got an old version, try getting in contact with carputing, my version is 1.3J , no problems over here, except for the high battery message.

good luck,

allen

Quick Reply: GRRRRR!! edit problems on 03 truck