Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

God damned rain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God damned rain!

Had my first problem with the truck..

It's is not really JUST an STS thing but a FI thing in general. At least it is on cars.

The other day I was driving home from the Synergy Motorsports grand opening and it was raiing really hard. Like monsoon style.

After about 2 hours of driving I saw this new Titan trying to pass me up lik ehe was special so I stuck it in high boost and was gonn aput him in his place before I hit my offramp for the next highway. All I got out of it was a big rev and the truck feel on it's face so I lifted and realized that even though it was drier on this stretch of road I still had lots of water on the air filter and I had just sucked it all in. I figured no biggie I'll just drive normal until it dries out. Nope

After 2 days I am still having problems with surging and can't go WOT. I ran into a thread in the FI seciton by NastyT/A who had the exact same problem in his Procharged T/A... Sooo I decide to take apart my intake piping before and after the FMIC and sure enough I had huge puddles inside the intercooler. So I am now blowing air through it in an effort to clear it all out.

It's all my fault. #1 i should have had the "sock" thing over my filter to help keep water out. #2 I should never have tried to romp on it in HIGH boost in the friggin rain.

Seems like I am the only one with this problem that I have talked to and a lot of it has to do with my FMIC trapping all of the water.... Either way I have the STS snorkle pipe on the way to move the filter up higher and out of the way of most water so I don't have this problem again... Low boost doesn't seem to cause a problem but start trying to suck in enough air to put out 12psi and bad things happen...

Just a heads up for any of you with FI that have low hanging filters..
Old 10-20-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm sorry man. That sucks! How's the impeller look? Is there any cavitation? Did any water touch your MAF, or did it not get past the IC? Hopefully the IC trapped it all, otherwise it could get real ugly. Keep us posted.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF maybe? Good thing you had an intercooler to trap most of that water
Old 10-20-2004, 04:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I have not looked at the impeller. I didn't even think of that.

The reason it was running so poorly is that water would seep out of the IC and hit the MAF which freaks it out and tries to die out.. I had clean it once thinking it was just oil but I never thought to feel inside the IC for water...

The IC trapped most of it but some would still make it's way into the motor I am sure. I doubt there was enough to hurt anything though. I just had a constantly wet MAF which is no good.

I'm letting it all air out right now and when I get it put back together I'll let ya'll know how it went... Should be an easy fix but I just wanted to make others aware so they dont have a similar issue which could get ugly if you sucked enough water in.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

When we went for that drive just after getting something like 2'' of rain I crawled under your truck and the filter wasnt even wet. And you drove it hard and in high boost. Maybe building some sort of baffle to deflect the water away from the filter wouldnt be a bad idea.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

its usually always raining here and that is why i didnt want an sts. i would have to have the filter in the bed or something.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
When we went for that drive just after getting something like 2'' of rain I crawled under your truck and the filter wasnt even wet. And you drove it hard and in high boost. Maybe building some sort of baffle to deflect the water away from the filter wouldnt be a bad idea.
Yeah, it sucks hard than that one chick in Reno... Umm NM

I ordered the snorkle kit form Dave at STS today so it should be here shortly. It was really cheap so i said heck with it. I'd rather have the filter tucked away anyway. Piece of mind
Old 10-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

cool man hope that snorkel works out.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02denali
cool man hope that snorkel works out.
Me too, if not I'm building one of those parascope looking things they run on African Safari trucks!