Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm warranty ???? anyone have some true facts

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gm warranty ???? anyone have some true facts

just bought a 2011 silverado wt/ls rcsb 4x4 5.3
have done exhaust = slp
intake = volant
love it so far but wanna go faster =)
but curious about what voids or screws w warranty anyone know
wanna do headers .. ... later intake n throttle body n tune any one done these n wanna give up numbers
let me know about warrany too thx alot
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam8076
just bought a 2011 silverado wt/ls rcsb 4x4 5.3
have done exhaust = slp
intake = volant
love it so far but wanna go faster =)
but curious about what voids or screws w warranty anyone know
wanna do headers .. ... later intake n throttle body n tune any one done these n wanna give up numbers
let me know about warrany too thx alot
there should be several very detailed threads on this if you search the forum for Warranty or if you just google "what voids warranty".

What you are looking for is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act of 1975

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Basically it breaks down to the fact that they can not void your warranty unless the part you are trying to warranty was broken by a mod you made. A CAI isn't going to cause your rearend to go bad so they can't look at your truck and say Oh you modded it, we aren't going to warranty your broken G80 locker.

The one thing that has been more disputable and harder to prove is Custom Tuning the PCM. However I don't want to go search for the detailed threads that talk about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

When I had my cammed/full bolt-on 04 GMC Sierra CC, I took it in for warranty work, with the cutouts uncapped. The warranty work did not pertain to the engine and they never said anything.

Like vicious said, its the magnason-moss act. Thats not to say that some dealers won't give you ****. Luckily I had a cool Service advisor that had a Radixed Silverado at the time.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I believe tuning is now traceable in the newer trucks It has a counter and the can tell if the comp was flashed or if the battery was disconected.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Get to know your GM service team. I made friends with the service manager straight off and I had no problems with multiple warranty repairs. It's really going to boil down to that.... unless you like fighting legal battles if they deny any work falsely.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM

hey guys i have a 2007 nbs silverado cc vortec max..anyways the passenger side power mirror has never worked ..what is the warranty on these parts? i bought the truck new now has 18000 miles but its over the 3 36 that i think anything eletrical is warranted for? the power train is 7 100 i think on my body style.
Attached Thumbnails gm warranty ???? anyone have some true facts-010.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by anthonyc
hey guys i have a 2007 nbs silverado cc vortec max..anyways the passenger side power mirror has never worked ..what is the warranty on these parts? i bought the truck new now has 18000 miles but its over the 3 36 that i think anything eletrical is warranted for? the power train is 7 100 i think on my body style.
you bought it new, it never worked? Why didn't you take it to your dealer way back when? Never mind, you're out of luck and off-topic too. Sorry.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the mirror was never plugged in...

...and to the OP I agree with Bill, get and stay friendly with your service writer and manager if possible
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You cant get a definate answer on here. I know most of us try, but its different at every dealer. The Magnuson-Moss act is handy to read, and learn your rights, but that doesnt mean it makes things easy.

I had a friend working in the service department where I purchased my 08 Silvy. When my transmission went out I ask him if I could bring it up there with the LT's and tune. He said they wouldnt touch it with the tune, and would tell me I was on my own because of the tune.
I called another buddy who worked at a Ford dealership, and one of his co-workers has a brother that works at another Chevy dealer. I dropped it off there, and picked it up with a brand new rebuilt trans two days later.
When my friend talked to the guy at the shop that did the work, that guy even pointed out how stupid it was for the original dealer not to do it, that even with the tune, unless they can prove that caused the failure they have to warranty it due to the MM act.

I was out of the country at the time, so I did what was easiest. Had I had the time I would have really pushed the issue at the dealership I purchased from, but it all worked out very easily for me
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

well fella's cant thank u all enough for the info .... and quick response too wow glad i finally found a good forum the storys to r good pretty much examples of what to run in
appreciate it a ton

Quick Reply: gm warranty ???? anyone have some true facts