Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

exhaust performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust performance ?

I stopped by a muffler shop today and the guy aid he would make me a true dual set up with flows for around $350 w/o the tips. another $55 for tips, i figured get some headers and o2 sims should be in business. My question is how much disadvantange is there from runing pips that;s ot madrel bent to something that is? anything noticable?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Tribe Shaman

i paied $300.00 for mine.
duel from the cats back, glasspacks, nice tips, and everybody loves the way it sounds.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

keep shopping around and I think you can find a place that will do it cheaper, I would recommend to not use flowmaster, I know I have one but I am planning on changing it here in the next month....
Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flamed_Chevelle
I stopped by a muffler shop today and the guy aid he would make me a true dual set up with flows for around $350 w/o the tips. another $55 for tips, i figured get some headers and o2 sims should be in business. My question is how much disadvantange is there from runing pips that;s ot madrel bent to something that is? anything noticable?
There isn't that much difference IMHO. 2 1/2" true duals for a stock motor is kind of a overkill, you need a little backpressure. When My motor was stock, I had true duals with flowmasters run straight out the back with tips and run 2 1/4" piping a few feet from the x-pipe all the way to the tips. I had good low-end with that set-up and it pulled descent to 5200rpms. After I added the cam and headers, I switched to the bullet mufflers and run 2 1/2" piping the whole way, through the tips and everything. This is when I could tell a nice difference in power past 4000rpms. I've had both the flowmasters and bullets dumped and run straight out the back with pipes. Out of these 4 set-ups, the ones that felt stronger were actually the ones with tips. I hope this helps in some way or another, if not, forgive me because I've only had 2 hours worth of sleep in the last 36 hours!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

only a few bends up front are mandrel on mine. the rest are reg bends. its not going to hurt you at all. make sure you throw in an x pipe as well. do not use slowmasters. go with better mufflers. i usually buy my own mufflers and take them up there as well as the tips.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

i paid 300 for 2 flowmaster super 40's and install turning into dual i dont have any tips after the muffs sounds real nice but ive actually considered gettin some slp loudmouth resonators in place of my flows im waitin for the dyno shop to cal me back lazy ***** so i can dyno my truck was 252 with sinlge exhuast wantin to see if dual flows helped any mine are 2 1/2" anyways duals make the truck sound so much better i dont have an x pipe but will get one when i get my asm long tubes and dump the cats i feel like i lost some low end with my exhuast but i think thats jus i got heavy asrs VHO 20's on there around the same time so that stunted me my .02 if your gettin flows dont get 40 series get super 40's other then that dont get flows
Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think Flowmasters aren't worth the money, there are several times when I think about going with a different exhaust. If I were you I would just go ahead and get something better now so that I wouldn't have to spend more $ to change it down the line. They sound nice but other than that they don't make much power. I think the back pressure may be better but the flow sucks on them.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Couldn't have said it better myself Lance.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

True Die hard flowmaster fan here ive sworn for years id never buy anything other than a flow im just oldschool but after being on ls1tech for a lil while im already seeing there are so many better options out there sound and power wise and am serously thinking flows arent the way to go anymore
Old 02-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight Pipes!!

Quick Reply: exhaust performance ?