Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dont forget to change you exhaust fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Could we expect the same thing some time on gas engines since they produce NOx gases as well, or is the exhaust not hot enough?
It may, gas engine don't produce Nox at near the levels of a diesel. The neat thing about a SCR system is we have no need for a particulate trap as we can run a tier I injection and a more efficient combustion system, so we create less particulate matter by post treating Nox instead of burning it in the cylinder with EGR. But SCR also greatly lowers CO2 emissions also, the same urea treatment will break the bonds of the oxygen from the carbon. I imagine that CO2 will be the next emission's gas that is gone after by the EPA...

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Exhaust isn't really hot enough to fully vaporize the urea and the catalytic converters do a pretty good job at keeping tabs on emissions and is a simpler/cheaper solution for gas motors.
The exhaust temps only have to reach 400 degrees F to allow SCR injection to take place. While I agree that Cats are good for Hydrocarbons, no Cat will lower CO2, where SCR gives us that ability. SCR would allow the death of EGR, almost zero emission's with zero effects to power levels or economy.

Last edited by MPFD; 06-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Teching In

I work at NAPA guys and we sell it for $12.19 for 2 1/2 gallons, its valvoline brand and IS compatible with all the specs so dont get ripped at the dealerships.
And i think the ford guys take 5 gallons every 5000 miles but dont hold me too it.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
11 Second Truck Club

It is just fertilizer, UAN comes in the same concentration, BUT you don't wanna try to use the fertilizer grade stuff cause the urea in it is treated with a polymer additive that allows a slower timed release of the ammonia into the ground and it can hose up dosing control modules. Don't ask me how I know that...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

At first I was pissed while reading this because I thought they were adding this on top of the particulate filter. If this is supposed to replace the filter then this could be a great advancement for the diesel industry. The idea of a diesel engine cleaning the air as it operates is awesome.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Dewey
At first I was pissed while reading this because I thought they were adding this on top of the particulate filter. If this is supposed to replace the filter then this could be a great advancement for the diesel industry. The idea of a diesel engine cleaning the air as it operates is awesome.
Thats what makes it so cool, if you have a diesel and have had to have your trap sucked out or pay for a new filter for your trap, it gets expensive. Running 15 gallons of this to 600 gallons of diesel, especially when it gets more main stream the price goes down, begins to look more attractive. A particulate trap from CAT is $5000 and must be changed after X number of Re-Gen cycles and the whole system must be vacuumed out every 1500-2000 hours. X= not that many

Last edited by MPFD; 06-24-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool concept, doesn't really seem like such a big deal/expense considering how far a gallon goes and how much cheaper it can be bought outside of the dealership
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I go though more meth then that!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I think that when people start seeing Re-gen down time and temps vs SCR it will be the only clear option. A re-gen phase is basically using a injector to spray raw fuel into the particulate trap and a glow plug ignites it to burn it out. The problem with this is your exhaust will be at ultra high temps during this re-gen, and your basically brought to a halt during the process. Imagine being in a combine off loading wheat in the middle of a field and it goes into re-gen. Now your stuck there in the middle of a field and your exhaust temps all of a sudden go to 2000 degrees F with the air around you full of wheat dust and crop material, you can't go anywhere cause the combine has no power during a re-gen. Thats not a place I would wanna be with high exhaust temps and an de-mobilized piece of equipment. SCR only needs exhaust temps of 400 degrees F to work and doesn't completely shut you down just de-rates you to 50% power till its refilled. And the usage is so low that you'll have the chance to fill that tank during three prior re-fuelings.

Here is what happens when the software malfunctions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKLKm5i2ic

Awesome Ford!!!!!

Last edited by MPFD; 06-24-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll stick to the Pre 07 diesels
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MPFD
Imagine being in a combine off loading wheat in the middle of a field and it goes into re-gen. Now your stuck there in the middle of a field and your exhaust temps all of a sudden go to 2000 degrees F with the air around you full of wheat dust and crop material, you can't go anywhere cause the combine has no power during a re-gen. Thats not a place I would wanna be with high exhaust temps and an de-mobilized piece of equipment.
I agree with you on the wheat dust. But also where I work we get to worry about the vapors from the fuel tankers. Especially in the fuel terminals where they have millions of gallons of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol, and what ever else that could start on fire when going to load could be bad also.