Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

do I have a 13 sec. combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do I have a 13 sec. combo

When the blower goes on in two weeks (Nelson tune will be on its way on Monday), do you guys think my truck will be a 13 sec truck, with my following mods:

1999 rc/sb 5.3L
-Sidemount magnacharger supercharger 5psi
-2002 pcm tuned by Allen Nelson
-Pacesetter lontubes
-ORY pipe
-Corsa exhaust
-K&N cone filter
-ported and polished TB
-all free mods
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

possibly. You may need a converter, but you should be very close.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, I plan on getting a TB converter when the servos, billet accum piston, valve body separator plate, new valve body, shift kit and larger trans cooler goes in. Hopefully those will make the trans last....

Originally Posted by greentahoe
possibly. You may need a converter, but you should be very close.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

your converter is going to hate your gears. hate. loose stalls require gear to be useful.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

but wouldn't the TB stall be an improvement? How about a 2800 stall?

Originally Posted by treyZ28
your converter is going to hate your gears. hate. loose stalls require gear to be useful.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

your gonna be boosted so you will be good on the low end for power already...better put the tranny stuff in before the radix or it prolly wont make it because once the radix is on you will want to beat and beat on it having fun and then all of a sudden
Old 11-12-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
but wouldn't the TB stall be an improvement? How about a 2800 stall?
it will certainly help. One thing I always see on these forums and it annoys me to no end is that the following presumption is made.

Because it works, it works well. Since it works, it works well and therefore there isn't much room for improvement/I shouldn't bother doing it right. Kind of reminds me of STS, but we wont go there.

Here is the deal. Engine rpm at launch = wheel speed. Its damn close (there is some varriance due to slip.

But to make things easy, i'm going to use round numbers and assume that slip is negligable (ie direct link from engine to rear diff)

Lets say stock stall is 2000rpm, TB stall is 3000rpm

2000rpm = 20mph in first gear, then to TB stall = 30mph (1000rpm = 10mph)

So now you are trying to SNAP your tires from 0 to 30 mph almost instantly instead of 20mph. Assuming nothing breaks and you have traction, you probobly wont go to 30mph, your engine will bog down to 2000rpm and 20mph. Or your tires wont hold and you will spin them.

BUT if you step up the gears so 3000rpm = 20mph, you can now do what a stall is INTENDED to do; launch you hard into your powerband.

Some people, especially this know it all asshat on the corvette forum, preach using tall gears with a high stall as means of traction control. this is just STUPID. it defeats the purpose of the high stall AND you are running tall gear. Just because they get no wheel spin they think its a good thing.

Im sure the 2800 stall will help, but man it would love to be suppored with some gear. the whole 4.8/5.3/LS series of engines is higher revving (for OEM). Their powerband isn't down low like a TPI enigne. Thats why they respond to stall so well.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

A Radix, I wish......Its the older sidemount magnacharger kind...I'll try my best to take it easy on the trans before the trans parts go in. I'm just dying to get this thing in...It's been sitting in my room for over a month now
But the time is closing in quickly for the install

Originally Posted by bud8fan
your gonna be boosted so you will be good on the low end for power already...better put the tranny stuff in before the radix or it prolly wont make it because once the radix is on you will want to beat and beat on it having fun and then all of a sudden
Old 11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2600 stall with my old side mount and 3.42s. It was more than enough to get the truck out of the hole. A larger stall and or gears would have been worthless witout slicks.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

too bad you dont have 4x4. I have a spare 4L60 sitting in my parents garage in a nice tote:o

Quick Reply: do I have a 13 sec. combo