Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

custom CAI pics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom CAI pics?

Hey, those of you that have fabricated some custom CAI stuff, are there pics on a thread anywhere? i was looking today at my stock setup tryin to figure what to do. i don'y like the open top designs, thinking of doing a custom tube and using the factory airbox, possibly with some mods there. do the conical filters really flow any better than the stock airbox? seems all the stock airtube stuff may be the restrictive factor.

Also, anybody that's converted to efans, hvae you changed the radiator hose to something a little more straightfoward? the factory hose curves way around, but seems like that would be unecessary after removing the fan clutch shroud?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

BlackGMC made a really nice CAI, my buddy Zach built a pretty sweet one as well. I'm sure they'll chime in.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
BlackGMC made a really nice CAI, my buddy Zach built a pretty sweet one as well. I'm sure they'll chime in.
His was very nice, great craftmanship, seeing his made me start designing a new one...

Originally Posted by lawdog49
Hey, those of you that have fabricated some custom CAI stuff, are there pics on a thread anywhere? i was looking today at my stock setup tryin to figure what to do. i don'y like the open top designs, thinking of doing a custom tube and using the factory airbox, possibly with some mods there. do the conical filters really flow any better than the stock airbox? seems all the stock airtube stuff may be the restrictive factor.

Also, anybody that's converted to efans, hvae you changed the radiator hose to something a little more straightfoward? the factory hose curves way around, but seems like that would be unecessary after removing the fan clutch shroud?
In Steel w/ factory airbox bottom 3.5 tube and 3.5->4.0 elbow

Part-1
Part-2

In fiberglass w/ factor airbox bottom 4in tube and elbow

Part-1

Part-2

I am working on a new design with a fabricated airbox bottom and new lid, with the opening behind the headlight and dual ram air scoops in the tow hook spots.... Sorry i get bored and like to build stuff, besides I gotta try out my new band saw.....
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need something to support the hose, so you might as well reuse the original piece, get a straight piece of metal, bend a curve in it, drill a hole in the center of the radiator support, secure the piece of metal, and place the hose on it. I hope that made sense.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Resident Retard

On my efans I just drilled some holes in the radiator support and used the existing clamps

Then I made a bracket that attaches to the intake tube with another clamp

Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice job!! I wish I could weld like that.

About how far off the radiator do your fans sit?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

really nice work blackgmc. lemme know if you wanna sell your current setup when you get the new one made! so, can i get 4" elbows and tubes, or will I also need a reducer/coupler to mate the black flexi hose coming from the MAF? i measured the ID of that hose, and it seems to be 4". don't think it will flex/stretch enough to go over a 4" tube.

any comments on air filters to use in the stock box?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
Very nice job!! I wish I could weld like that.

About how far off the radiator do your fans sit?
1.5 inches exactly...

Originally Posted by lawdog49
really nice work blackgmc. lemme know if you wanna sell your current setup when you get the new one made! so, can i get 4" elbows and tubes, or will I also need a reducer/coupler to mate the black flexi hose coming from the MAF? i measured the ID of that hose, and it seems to be 4". don't think it will flex/stretch enough to go over a 4" tube.

any comments on air filters to use in the stock box?
I use a K&N, seems to work good for me...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is my custom intake: UPD Lid with rubber hoses and tubing (unpainted)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=389533
here is a thread from a while back with a few pics.

Quick Reply: custom CAI pics?