Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure for my exhaust resonation problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 02:07 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cure for my exhaust resonation problem?

i have the same problem, i went with one of the "quieter" mufflers out there, it is a 3" dynomax super turbo with the huge body and without the strait thru core. well without the cats on there it is prety loud, i called dynomax and short of puting some kind of stock type muffler on there he sugested just what you are saying. he indicated it would make a prety big diference but told me to keep the resonator(bullet/glasspack/whatever) at least 1' away from the muffler for it to do any good.

i would love to see you try it and let me know if it is worth the hassle.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:46 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I had 2.5" bulletts installed in place of my cats. I can't say that they helped a whole lot. It was alot louder than having my cats on. I'm sure it was better than having nothing at all, but it wasn't near as quiet as I'd hoped it would be.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he indicated it would make a prety big diference but told me to keep the resonator(bullet/glasspack/whatever) at least 1' away from the muffler for it to do any good.

i would love to see you try it and let me know if it is worth the hassle.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">parish8! I hope it does make a difference, I'm going to put it where the PV Venturi is now. It's mounted about half way between the muffler and the cat's in really the only straight section of pipe before the muffler in my ext. cab.. Featherfoot (John at PV) did say the Venturi would kick up the muffler tone a notch but I really didn't notice it much after it was installed. The Dynomax Buller has a perferated core similiar to a Mangaflow not a lovered core like a galss pack. All I want is the edge taken off the resonation, I hope this helps. I'll post when I get it done, probably Wednesday. I already order the Bullet from Summit, it only takes two day from Reno to my house in Northern CA, total cost to my door was $43.90.
Jim
Old 11-24-2002, 05:27 PM
single digit dreamer

big tex, did you go from nothing to adding the bullets or just from cats to bullets. what did you have after the bullets? i have the closest thing dynomax sells to a factory muffler and it is still very racey(loud) sounding.

Y2K, i will be anxiously waiting to hear about your results.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:57 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I made up a new Y-pipe with mandrel bends and bullets in the areas where the cats were. So I went from cats to the bullets directly.

They are pretty cheap, so its worth a shot.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cure for my exhaust resonation problem?

I was looking through the Summit Racing catalog and found an Ultra Flo Bullet racing muffler made by Dynomax. I can get one that has a 3" inlet & outlet and is only 16 1/2" long. I was thinking of having one installed in front of the muffler to see if it would take some of the resonation away. The 70 Series Flowmaster I have isn't a loud muffler outside but it does create THE dreaded resonation at certain rpm's some of us talk about. I know Flowmaster's cat-back kit comes with a resonator that is installed before the muffler, the kit uses a 70 Series also. I saw a Truck's episode that installed the kit I'm talking about. What ya thnk?
Jim