Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Crossed Drilled Rotors.....Vol II

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said, I’ll leave the “which brand/material” questions for Nick but if I had to suggest something I’d get the more aggressive pads from tirerack.com; cant think of the name but when I get home today I’ll check it out. I was about to buy them for my truck (and will if it doesn’t sell on ebay this weekend). Nick and I talked about it a while back, and suggested one, but I don’t recall the name off hand. Like I said above, wait for him to chime in.

My argument was against CD’ed rotors, not pads. Nick is much more informed about pad properties than I am.

PS; I owned/owned the cars listed above and WILL have the diesel if the truck sells this weekend.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:57 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

so who makes a carbon blend pad and what is the composition of the stock pads?

Also, what type of gains would one see with braided brakes lines and upgraded brake pad material from stock, utilizing stock non-drilled rotors?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
Then why did my stock rotors warp so easily?
This I can answer;
Rotors can warp for MANY reasons. I warped a set within 3 days once. That sucked. Why? 6 or 7 back to back stop light to stop light races (about 0-120-0) and then a puddle. It was that or aggressive driving and stopping off at the car wash. Pressure washer on the rotors (missing wheels) with cold water + super hot rotor = FUBAR!

Did you replace your pads? Did you ever take your wheels off and re-torque the lug nuts. Over-tightening them is a SURE SHOT WAY to warp them.

ps- budget means you dont have unlimited sum of money. Nasa is on a budget
Old 05-21-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I dont think so. I do drive hard, but either way I drive how I drive. I want my rotors to keep up to me not me have to slow down for my rotors

Lets say you had like 500-600 and you wanted the best brakes you could afford for that price, also considering your stock rotors warp to hell.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by treyZ28
ps- budget means you dont have unlimited sum of money. Nasa is on a budget
Thanks for making that nice and clear.
Next time ill be sure to talk like I do when I teach swimming lessons to 3 year olds so you can understand what I mean
Old 05-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moregrip
so who makes a carbon blend pad and what is the composition of the stock pads?

Also, what type of gains would one see with braided brakes lines and upgraded brake pad material from stock, utilizing stock non-drilled rotors?
I am unsure of who makes carbon blend pad...they are seriously mainly used for nascar and people who can afford them for autocross and applications along those lines. You best bet you'd be to go with a full metallic pad. Braided brake lines allow you higher fluid pressures while breaking, the rubber lines tend to bulge not giving you the full pressure onto the rotor. If you switched to braided brake lines and better pads, like metallic ones you could easily cut a few feet of your 60-0 mph distance.

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
Originally Posted by F150boy84
Metallic pads are made of at least 60% powdered metal that is pressed into a mold at high temperature with a bit of organic binder to form a somewhat homogeneous block. Most metallic pads have excellent grip at high temperatures but are not suitable for street use because they often are noisy, grip poorly when cold, chew up rotors, and make black dust that gets deposited on the wheels.

Wouldent the "organic binder" produce those gases you guys are talkn about?

And besides the mess of metallic pads, why would another pad be better, considereing budget performance is the goal?
If you were to buy the organic pads then yes you would vent a very minuit amount of gas, they have refined the process in which they make organic pads by leaps and bounds. so yes, if you ran a organic pad and slotted rotors, you can justify getting slotted rotors. BUT you need to see which pad is best for your aplication. If you do aggressive driving these are not the pads for you. A better pad can take the heat better, without deteriorating away due to high temps.

[quote="MacADaYear"]
Originally Posted by f105boy84']
If you truly want better braking capacity. You will need to get a better brand caliper (double piston), bigger rotors and bigger pads made of better material.[/quote]

Our front brakes are already double piston, and some people cant go bigger on rotors because they use 16" rims.[/quote]

[quote="MacADaYear
Originally Posted by "F150boy84
THose are the only things that help braking is the braking surface. plain and simple.

So now heat dosent play a role in braking distance?
If we are talking about a 5 degree change from blank to cd-ed rotors, then you can take heat out as a variable , because it's pretty much a constant....If the Cd-ed rotors cooled by say 20 degrees give or take some, then You could argue for the cooling effect of the cd-ed rotors and say when comparing the two you must take the temperature difference into account...

damn that was alot, hope this helps...sorry bout the gm bashing earlier.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
Yea I dont think so. I do drive hard, but either way I drive how I drive. I want my rotors to keep up to me not me have to slow down for my rotors

Lets say you had like 500-600 and you wanted the best brakes you could afford for that price, also considering your stock rotors warp to hell.
keep in mind you cannot run cd-ed rotors. so if you ever warp these overly expensive things, you are screwed! I would check out Baer, or Bembro and see what they have. [company plug]TRW always has good quality[/company plug]
Old 05-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Teching In

im out for the weekend, so ill check this on sunday and try to reply to any questions, if you want specifics pm me.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

If we are talking about a 5 degree change from blank to cd-ed rotors, then you can take heat out as a variable , because it's pretty much a constant....If the Cd-ed rotors cooled by say 20 degrees give or take some, then You could argue for the cooling effect of the cd-ed rotors and say when comparing the two you must take the temperature difference into account...
I can say for sure that I noticed the difference in heat with the cd-ed rotors. The is a local canyon near here I drive ALL the time. The point where my brakes started fading was amost twice as far as my stock setup. I drive that road about as fast as my little truck can do it, and I can run that road pretty consistantly. As far as temperate there was a 3 days seperation from when I installed the new rotors and got them broken in, but I really fail to see how I got so much less brake fade etc if there was only a 5 deg temperature difference.

With that said... assuming the cd-ed rotors cooled more, performance would increase from them.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

keep in mind you cannot run cd-ed rotors. so if you ever warp these overly expensive things, you are screwed! I would check out Baer, or Bembro and see what they have. [company plug]TRW always has good quality[/company plug]
Ouch im not ready to drop 3-4 grand on a brake system right now

(BTW- what do you run in the quarter mile ford boy? )

Quick Reply: Crossed Drilled Rotors.....Vol II