Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Crossed Drilled Rotors.....Vol II

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me jump in and say thanks for a more ciivlized disscussion on the subject. Some good points up there.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F150boy84
If you truly want better braking capacity. You will need to get a better brand caliper (double piston), bigger rotors and bigger pads made of better material.
Our front brakes are already double piston, and some people cant go bigger on rotors because they use 16" rims.

THose are the only things that help braking is the braking surface. plain and simple.
So now heat dosent play a role in braking distance?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Metallic pads are made of at least 60% powdered metal that is pressed into a mold at high temperature with a bit of organic binder to form a somewhat homogeneous block. Most metallic pads have excellent grip at high temperatures but are not suitable for street use because they often are noisy, grip poorly when cold, chew up rotors, and make black dust that gets deposited on the wheels.
Wouldent the "organic binder" produce those gases you guys are talkn about?

And besides the mess of metallic pads, why would another pad be better, considereing budget performance is the goal?
Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

“Better” isn’t a word I’d really use to compare all pads without some kind of application described. Its like saying “what is the best camshaft for a car?” There is no best, just optimized for a specific application. Different pad compositions work well under different conditions. Some brakes actually wont work well on the street but once they are heated up around some twisties, they will blow away the street pads. And there are mixes for everything as well.
I spent more time in braking systems and rotor design, not too much in pads/testing like Nick has. Then again Nick had **** luck of not getting fired so he’s been there twice as long (and just for the record Nick, even if it was the best thing to ever happen to me; I still get pissed off about it and I still plan to run him over with my truck and infest his dog with fleas).
Old 05-21-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well I drive my truck very agressivly and want something I can count on in a bind.
Im WOT at almost every light, I hit up the canyons with my stock suspension every other day . Im not worried about warm up really, performance is my main goal with my college student budget in mind.

(BTW- why did you get fired )
Old 05-21-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
Our front brakes are already double piston, and some people cant go bigger on rotors because they use 16" rims.

So now heat dosent play a role in braking distance?
Not really, not unless it is a heat soaked rotor.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Not really, not unless it is a heat soaked rotor.
Then why did my stock rotors warp so easily?
Old 05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
Well I drive my truck very agressivly and want something I can count on in a bind.
Im WOT at almost every light, I hit up the canyons with my stock suspension every other day . Im not worried about warm up really, performance is my main goal with my college student budget in mind.

(BTW- why did you get fired )
College budget is a relative term. For me it means a 383LT1 Z28, an 03 Ext cab Z71 which is for sale and now going to be an LS6/4L80E or a D-max with bolt ons if it sells this week.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I give up. You have proven to me beyond a doubt you are full of bullshit.

Answer the question since you have so much knowlegde... dont hold back on us
Old 05-21-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by treyZ28
“Better” isn’t a word I’d really use to compare all pads without some kind of application described.
I gave you a application and you told me college budget could mean anything...

Honestly man you seem like there is some good knowledge locked up in that head of yours but you are too busy bullshitting to let it out.

I just wanna know how to make my braking better since these rotors I just bought dont do anything

Quick Reply: Crossed Drilled Rotors.....Vol II