Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant?-Dexcool or Green Stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant?-Dexcool or Green Stuff?

Will most likely be replacing a coolant pump or pump gaskets this week.
I'm going to be changing or replacing the fluid since its has 60k+ on it anyway.
I have heard many negatives about the Dexcool orange stuff and some negatives about the standard green coolant.
Things like the orange is better for aluminum engine parts, or the green coolant is not hard on rubber seals like the Dexcool.
So whats the real truth?
Every motorcycle I've owned used the green coolant and the engines were all aluminum. Never had an issue, same with both Nissan cars my wife's owned.
I have an iron block 5.3l, with aluminum heads obviously. Whats best?
Lets hear the info guys.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

ive used the orange in all my new vehicles.. whether its hard over time on the seals and etc I dunno.. my 98TA only has 50k on it and its holding up well and the truck has 35k on it

i think you are gonna find people that like both.... i just used the dexcool on the truck cause thats what it came with
Old 11-06-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Had to replace my water pump at 200,000 miles and did not notice the seals were brittle. I would stay with what the owner manual says.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dexcool all the way.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd stick with the Dexcool since that's what it came with and that's what the manufacturer recommends. I've heard of problems with the early gen Dexcool in the 4.3's, but nothing bad about it in the GENIII engines. Pretty sure that you don't want to go mixing the Dex with the green stuff either...if you did decide to switch you'd really want to flush the system really good first.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say green stuff, local master certified ase mechanic shop owner told my brother to switch to the green stuff, says dex cool causes gelling when failing and clogs your shiz up which his is lol

says he's made several swaps and enver had a problem come back yet

i would upgrade to the 05 radiator too

-Erik
Old 11-06-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Green stuff. What he said about it leaving deposits and clogging things up is correct after 100k+ miles. My wife's old 99 tahoe L31 motor developed a head gasket leak(about 1 drop a second). It was leaking coolant outside the engine between the head and block. I flushed all the dexcool out and drove it 5 miles and it stopped leaking instantly. The solids that developed in the system got impacted in between the gasket and caused the leak I suppose. you could look under the cap and see the pinkish-white crystals that form. I put in the green stuff with demineralized water and it never leaked again. I thought I was about to have to yank the heads. I have heard multiple problems with the stuff other than my own personal experience. Most of the stuff starts to turn mor pink color rather than orange when it starts to go bad from what I have observed. The crap isn't good for 150k+ like they say. Some parts stores now only have antifreeze that is compatible with both. Some of it is yellow or yellow/green depending on the brand.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was going to ask abou tthe both stuff what are anyones opinions on that???
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't I agree with your statements above on the green coolant.
Your not going to do a flush and make a gasket stop leaking either.
The Dexcool coolant has additives to prevent corrosion of the aluminum parts that the coolant flows through. Like the heads and any other aluminum parts.
So your mechanic knows more about coolant types than GM huh?
GM didn't just decide to switch to a different coolant for nothing.

Go with Dexcool!
You should flush your coolant about every 60,000 mi.
Tranny fluid needs changing every 24,000 mi. Not a flush. Just drain pan and change filter. Not all the fluid is changed, but there is no need to replace all of it.

Jim

Last edited by CHEVY6000VHO; 11-07-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just report what i hear, i wana know about this dual stuff

Quick Reply: Coolant?-Dexcool or Green Stuff?