Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Closed Element vs. Open Element

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Closed Element vs. Open Element

i have about 250.00 to spend on a new CAI. I used to have the old style Volant CAI airbox w/out ram air. I have read good things about the Outlaw CAI, and the K&N 77 series. Possibly a new Volant also. What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I just installed an AEM Brute Force unit on my truck. The fit is good and it looks great. As for performance. Hell if I know, I still can't go WOT yet until I get tuned this weekend (breaking in the high compression motor).

I had the old Volant unit and it was a nice piece. It was too damned pricey for me to buy again so I just got the AEM. I highly doubt there is much of a HP difference bwteen the major units out there.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Do a search on custom home made intakes you can make one's just as good as aftermarket for alot less.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

You can also check the ProDyno CAI, they're a sponsor.

http://www.prodyno.com
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

What will sound the loudest under the hood, and possibly make the exhaust louder? i am guessing an open element. i am deciding between the aem brute force and the volant or SLP induction system. Anyone have results with the SLP system?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

The AEM should be louder than the Volant.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
The AEM should be louder than the Volant.

ive been very pleased with my aem intake, it was the first mod i did and i could hear a difference in the stock exhaust and i can still hear it in the cab at wot noticable sotp difference u cant beat it for the price
Old 06-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get the AEM or just get an airaid MIT and en edbay heat shield woth a K&N
Old 06-15-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oper Vs. Closed.

Originally Posted by 03HoustonSierra
i have about 250.00 to spend on a new CAI. I used to have the old style Volant CAI airbox w/out ram air. I have read good things about the Outlaw CAI, and the K&N 77 series. Possibly a new Volant also. What do you guys think?
Open under the hood gets you hot air.
Closed pulls from outside.
I know a Dyno owner who recommended I just drop in a K&N. He has done before and agfter pulls on three popular brand CAI systems and says they net maybe a 1 or 2 HP gain. This is on a late model chevy pickup. For the monet I would not buy on if it netted 10.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therock
Open under the hood gets you hot air.
Closed pulls from outside.
I know a Dyno owner who recommended I just drop in a K&N. He has done before and agfter pulls on three popular brand CAI systems and says they net maybe a 1 or 2 HP gain. This is on a late model chevy pickup. For the monet I would not buy on if it netted 10.
Thats not really all that true. The hood closes off the open part mostly as if it were to seal it somewhat. The only thing really catching all the heat is the tube anyways. The cool air from outside still comes up through the fender and from under the truck in front of the wheel well so i doubt it has enough time to really heat it up to cause any performance issues. I've noticed a better gain in performace with my open element than i did with my volant on a side note.

Quick Reply: Closed Element vs. Open Element